1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom extended seat rails group order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Mar 17, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a friend who is very talented and will make extension rails for my 08. If you need rails please say so here. He is going to make a batch of rails at one time.

Im not sure if the 08 has the same mounts as the other years does anyone know?

Im driving my car to Flagstaff so he can measure it precisely. They will be heavy duty rails that your rails bolt too. Not flimsy extensions.

They will be radius edges and painted black or gray. He will probably oval the holes to allow for factory tolerance errors.

He wants to make a large batch to make it worth his time.

Im asking for mount points at 2,4,6,8 inches. Or they can come blank and you drill the holes. A 3/8ths AC drill and proper bit is all thats needed.

They will be a simple DIY install at home in 30-45 minutes with basic socket wrench tools.

If enough people want dropped or lowered rails he can make those as well. The dropped rails will be lowered 2 inches from stock. I might even have him make mine cant back by an inch or two for a custom feel.

Please post here if your interested. I have no idea of the cost but they should be reasonable and money wont be a factor compared to comfort.

Naturally they will be marked "Off Highway use only" and not for on highway use.

2. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a price?

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He said depends on order quantity. 5 is different then 25 or 50. Lets see how many are interested.

Ballpark 250-300 would probably be real close.

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am interested.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the product works without raising the seat height too much, and is simple DIY, I would think that almost all PriusChatters who have written here about wanting to move their driver's (or passenger's) seat further back, would be interested.

6. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They need to put it in writing so we can get a head count. He will make one batch and move on so.......

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Doing my near best to spread the word now. Have posted a link to this thread on the most recent seat extension threads I've seen.

8. SLO Prius

SLO Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $250-300 doesn't seem too bad for more comfort. The "simple DIY" being a key part of it (but then I'm sure someone will upload a bunch of pictures of their installation to make it a snap). I'm interested.

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will have him make one for me as a "Sample" for picture taking and install info.

I need to know if all years have the same mount points. If you look down from the roof towards the seat my mount points are in an H pattern. The top left, bottom left and top right are all normal straight down mount points. The bottom right point is side mounted. My left side is 23 inches from mount to mount and the right is 25 inches.

Can anyone confirm their year model and the look and dimensions of the mount points. I have an 2008.

10. ktoepp

ktoepp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also have a 2008, so I can't confirm whether your measurements work for other years.

I'd be most interested if the rails allowed the seat to drop an inch or so in addition to going back (I'm gonna break my cruise control squeezing under the wheel when I get in). Is that price for both seats?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

11. ktoepp

ktoepp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The design sounds good. A drop might put the armrests in a better position, too.

How about some hydraulics for tilt adjust? (just kidding---sort of)

I probably won't see it much, so I don't really have a color preference. Painted to match the other metal under there, I guess. Powder coats are nice.

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Im thinking most people who will want these are going to also want a 1-2 inch drop. We will have to pull the seat and see if it will clear the oem humps with a drop rail system in place. The drop rail is also a bit harder to make. The rail kit is for the drivers seat only. The passenger seat has 4 more inches because there are no brake and gas pedals in your way. I will have him design the 2 inch drop system as the default and we are not going to make a non-drop rail system.

Are there any prefs of the rail color? Black? Gray? Primer?

13. Northbend08

Northbend08 Arrrgh!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm in for a drop system. I don't need any additional rearward extension. I'll edit this post once I've figured out how much drop I want to vote for. My seat of the pants guess is 2" would be perfect.

Just tell me where to send the money!

14. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will have him build the 2" drop rails for my 08. I will install and take pictures. Lets hold off till I post the pics.

We need to have all potential buyers in one lump. I dont want to ask for 20 and only have 2 buyers. We also dont want to make 5 and need 20.

We also need to post mount point dimensions for every year prius we are building for. Im hoping they are all the same. Mine is 23" left front to back and 25" right. The back right has a vertical mount. All other mount points are horizontal.

Worst case is we make the mounts and dont drill the holes or only drill front holes and not rear.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dropping the rails will be a challenging problem because of the design of the outboard rear mounting point.

I do believe that all of the 2004 -2008 Prius will have the same mounting points. I don't know if the 2001 - 2003 are the same or not.

16. wumhenry

wumhenry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Being 6"6", I'm interested, but I don't want the drops because my wife is only 5'2".

17. SLO Prius

SLO Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have to agree that the drops don't really interest me. The extension of the rails, as originally mentioned, is what I personally need.

18. Struv1

Struv1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can count me in, for the drop and extension.

19. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As stated before, I'm definitely interested. But I'd also like more info, like: 1) what the rails are made of? 2) How they would be installed? 3) Would all materials be included or would we have to purchase bolts, etc., too? Thanks.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any issues with air bags or will that be accounted for in the design?
    I, too, am very much interested, but want to see a proof of concept install.

I do not want a drop or anything other than the ability to get the seat back another 2-4"