1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Rims/Wheels/nonOEM 15/Y/N/P/C/BTD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Sep 10, 2013.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not posted in PC for a while. The majority of the opinion by PC poster is helpful but may not always based on first hand knowledge/research/ and or enlighten thinking and then there is always an exception

Anyhow

Most Gen2 owners have realize that the stock OEM 15 inch rims are part and parcel of the mpg overal package so why change........
    I am not a custom rim/custom exhaust/etc kinda guy. (I can change )
    I am considering purchasing custom rims like some of these from Tirerack
    Wheels for 2007 Toyota Prius
    The basis to purchase is more of improvement in the mpg performance if that can be done or had
    I am not going to change rim size or tire size. (thats more for the custom people) I have already found threads where someone went from a 15inch to 17inch rims only to decrease their mpg. So really do not want to relearn that experience.
    Custom Rims/Wheels/non OEM 15 inch
    Yes/No
    Pros/Cons
    Basis To Do So

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you buy rims that weigh less and tires that have a larger diameter, chances are you gas mileage will improve.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the way to improve the mpg via wheels/tires is to over inflate the tires just a bit - i run 42psi, also very light wheels should help, and there was a list someone put up from tire rack which said michelin energy savers were best for mpg, followed closely by bridgestone ecopias. if you buy heavier than stock wheels its gonna hurt mpg. the motegi sp10 is the only one listed that isn't heavier.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  4. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO okay
    "LESS" and "LARGER" are relative terminology. I agree with less than current rim spec weight of OEM (whatever that is)
    I am less sure of the larger dia statement

5. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree
    I own a set of the mich energy x and they are okay but same results have been had with other tire mfg..... and ..... michelin do not come cheap

6. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the custom rims are mass produce from China. The TIRERACK search list seven under 16lb ......I would think 14 to 15lbs would be preferable......trouble is unless someone has actually run these would be hard to know

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i think i read here somewhere the oe wheels are 14.5lbs; motegi tracklites and several other forged racing wheels are lighter.
    if you run taller tires and your mpg displayed doesn't drop, since the taller tires will roll a few inches farther with each revolution, your mpg will improve, but it won't show it on the display.
    any wheel worth owning isn't cast in china. forged wheels are gonna be the way to go.

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How much bigger do you want? 16, 17...larger?

SSR Type C
    Enkei RPF1
    BuddyClub P1 Racing
    Kosei K1 TS
    OZ Alleggerita
    Technicraft T6
    Konig Daylite

All these have 17" wheels the same or less weight than the OEM Touring 16"

I'm looking at these as well... my 19" ADR are heaaaaaavy. But look good! (y)

sidecar likes this.
  9. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please reread my orig post. I DO NOT WANT 17 INCH.................
    I like some of the KONIG but do not meet my application......

10. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading Bill Wilson posts on steel and alloy rims. I have reached the conclusion most aftermarket 15 inch rims will be heavier than OEM or close to that specific weight. Alum alloy and carbon fiber rims have some promising low weight
    developments out there however carbon fiber rim is very very expensive.......................and not really sold aftermarket

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just to clarify, just because someone changes Rim size doesn't necessarily mean it will have negative effects. It will if the right wheel and tire combo aren't chosen that make the car work harder than OEM. A lighter larger wheel and the correct tire sizing could actually increase MPG.

Did you check the wheel weights of any of these wheels in 15"... waaaay lighter than OEM..

SSR Type C
    Enkei RPF1
    BuddyClub P1 Racing
    Kosei K1 TS
    OZ Alleggerita
    Technicraft T6
    Konig Daylite

12. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not doubting your statement however, without more detailed information and reference links there is no veracity or value there