1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom subwoofer enclosure for 04 and 05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by viffer_pilot, Nov 13, 2004.

1. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

Hello all,

I had this all typed up and then dumped it accidentally so here's the short version. I have spent a good portion of today making molds of the driver and passenger cubbies in the back of my 05. I am planning on making enclosures for 8" subs which I will power off a mono amp.

I have considered using my molds to make casts that I can use to make replicas of my boxes. My question is, would there be enough interest in an enclosure of this type to make the initial investment worth while? I figure that I can produce the enclosures for about $150-$175 each. The final cost will depend on how much time it takes me to actually complete mine. It may be lower if I can find supplies at a lower cost than Home Depot. I would ship the enclosures in a ready to finish condition so that the purchaser could finish it to their tastes. By ready to finish I mean smoothed and bondo'd. It may not be ready to paint on arrival but it would be pretty close. Let me know if there is interest in a product like this.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    05 Millenium Silver pkg 5

2. charliep

charliep Junior Member

I would be interested. I would probably put rug material on it to match the interior.

Charlie

3. DanH

DanH New Member

I would be quite interested. It sounds like this would be the best way to add some bottom end to the sound without going over the top.

Do you have any pictures of what you have done so far?

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Count me in! What make of 8 inch sub are you considering (enclosure volume).

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Please count me in. I can give you more than just a "passing interest." I will commit to buying one right now.

Nate

6. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

I have not calculated the volume yet. So far all I have is the interior mold which came out pretty good. I need to reinforce the inside of the enclosure and then determine the final shape. I'm considering the sony P5 (I think) because it goes up to about .5 ft3. Crutchfield also has a really good special on the Punch 8". The reality is that I'm not competing the system, I just want to improve the low end. It doesn't have to be a great sub. We listen to country and rock mostly.

If I make the box flush with the side panel I think it will be too large but I can always put something in the box to take up air volume. I think it will look better if it's flush.

The only pictures I have are of the molds in the pockets and the back of the car taped up. I will be taking pictures of the molds tomorrow (my digi cam battery is dead). Tomorrow I will reinforce the mold and determine the cut location. I don't want to make the speaker ring until I have the speaker because I would like to flush mount it.

I made molds for both sides but only intend to use one since I think two would be too much. Does anyone have a preference on which side they prefer. If everyone wants the same side I will make two molds of the same side (if I can). If they come out well I will put one of the prototypes up for sale.

This is all just a plan. I have never done fiberglass before so I may discover that I suck so don't write a check yet. Anyway, thanks for the interest. I'll figure out how to make the casts and do that tomorrow before I trim the molds.

Jeff
    05 Millenium silver pkg 5

7. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I am interested in one for the passenger side. Post a pic when it is finished.

Thanks, Justin

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The passenger side is a much better choice because there is a storage compartment on the driver's side and (I believe) the fuel filler is on the driver's side so the passenger side offers more volume.

Nate

9. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

I agree that the passenger side is larger and impeding access to the storage on the driver side is a consideration but I think that the passenger side pocket may be a bit large for and 8" woofer. A 10" will fit in there and the size is almost perfect. The opening is about 11". The approximate volume on the passenger side is close to about .6 ft3 (I think). The driver's should be perfect for an 8". I am making the casting of the driver's side first since it is smaller and therefore cheaper to do over if my first attempt is a failure. Remember, the boxes are small and light. They would be easy to remove if attached with velco. I for one do not plan on cutting into my car. The only holes I can bring myself to make will be screw holes in the plastic over the spare tire to hold the amp.

I also do not know how many I will be able to make over the winter because it is not possible to work the fiberglass when it gets much below 60 degrees F. I'm sure I'll be able to make them but I can't guarantee deliver by Christmas :wink:

Thanks,
    Jeff

First tank 400 miles 8.85 gallons = 45.2 MPG actual and indicated :mrgreen:

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jeff, are you planning on porting the enclosure?

I still would MUCH prefer an enclosure on the passenger side. I believe most folks doing XM are locating the module on the driver's side, so it will get a little tight with wiring under there. Also, there are body exhaust vents on the driver's side, and the flaps need to be free to flap without wiring being in the way. A member here has done the passenger side with the 8 inch and is quite happy with it.

If the size on the passenger side is too big, you could always scale it down and leave a gap on the back side of the enclosure

I would LOVE a 10" in the Prius if it could be done and sound like my Polk system at home...

Nate

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jeff, don't worry about the volume differences. Someone can always fill the box to reduce volume, but the larger size may help someone who would like a larger sub. I agree with Nate, that a 10 inch with tight bass on the passenger side would fit my needs.

Wayne

12. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would also be interested in this. I never thought about that space until I saw the other member's sub install on the side of the hatch space. That's the perfect place for it.

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, I just remembered why the sub HAS to go on the passenger side: The cargo cover. In order to get it in and out, you must remove the little lid on the driver's side, so you would also have to remove the subwoofer.

I can't think of a single reason to put it on the driver's side (volume can always be reduced internally), and I can think of several reasons not to:

-Cubby Access is hindered
    -Body Exhaust must be considered
    -XM module located there for many stereo upgraders
    -Access to cargo cover is even worse
    -Limited to an 8" sub, 10" may be an option for the passenger side
    -Sub must be moved to access to HV battery disconnect (see service manual). Of course, this must be moved for 12V battery disconnect, but most of the time tech's don't remove this, even if the manual says to).
    -More difficult spare tire access

-Is there some acoustic reason to place it on the driver's side?
    -Is it more hidden from view (externally) because of the wiper motor?

At this point I can only commit to buying one if it fits the passenger side.

Nate

14. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

Thanks to everyone for the input. The volume of the passenger side is .68 cuft. I measured it last night using sand and a shoe box so I'm pretty confident with the measurement. This volume will be reduced slightly due to installation of the speaker cup and addition of more fiberglass for strength. I am making casts of both sides since I already have the molds from the car. The process of making the castings is taking a while. I'm making them out of papier mache. Once they dry...which is taking forever...I will reinforce the outside with fiberglass and waterproof the inside with laquer.

If my measurement is correct...and I think it is...the volume is too big for and 8" but it is perfect for a 10". I think that I'm going to try and fit one for mine (the minimum diameter for the opening is around 11"). Also, it is easier to find a 10" locally. Best Buy and Circuit City do not sell 8".

If there is anyone in the Charleston area, keep watching and I'll let you know when mine is completed so that you can hear it and make recommendations. I can post picutres but unless you are planning on just looking at it, it will not do you all much good.

Jeff

15. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

What if the box did not extend all the way to the end of the cubbie? That pocket is so deep, I could end the box a few inches before the end of the pocket. This would accomplish multiple things. First, it would reduce the volume without having to add more weight in the form of filler. Second, it would help hide the sub from prying eyes (I keep the cargo cover pulled out usually so this is not a very big deal for me. Lastly, it would offer protection from large objects that may slide around and hit the sub.

I ordered a pair of 8" RF Punch Stage 1 subs. Recommended volume is .25 cuft for a sealed box and .65cuft for a ported box. Using the current size, it is perfect for a ported box (which is another option). Hopefully the casts will dry in the next day or two so that I can finish my prototypes this weekend after receiving my order. I'll post pictures of the finished product as soon as I have one.

PS: I re-evaluated the idea of adding a 10" woofer to the box and I don't think that it will work. The very outside is 11" but the minimum diameter decreases quickly due to the shape of the inside of the pocket. I hope that I didn't get too many people's hopes up.

Jeff

16. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any more news as to when your sub-woofer enclosure might be available for purchase?

17. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

Sorry for the delay.

I have made casts of the passenger side. I plan on making the speaker rings for my enclosures today and finishing mine..up to paint this weekend. As soon as I have an enclosed enclosure I will post pictures.

Thanks for your patience. I am committed to this project and I have a plan to make these things even in the cold of winter. Unfortunately, I have just started at a new command (Navy) and I have had to work 14 hour days. Things should lighten up her next week and I can pound out about 2 per weekend (hopefully). Keep watching for updates.

Jeff

18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep up the good work. When i get the cash, i'll definetly get one. You should sale it as an optional system. Amp, Sub, and enclosure. Wiring if you feel you have a clear idea of how to hook it up and tell people how to hook it up. :mrgreen:

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds good. I'm in for one when you are ready to start taking orders.

Nate

20. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After the last few days I have definitely decided that as good as the stock system is, it needs some serious bass help. So, put me on the list for one when you get around to taking orders and are in the serious production mode.

Anxiously awaiting your pictures.