1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom system sounds in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bookrats, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I strongly doubt this can be done -- I've never seen it mentioned in any of the Mods forums I've seen anywhere -- but I thought I'd ask:

Anyone know if the various sounds a Prius makes at startup (the beep noises or such) can be replaced with sounds of your own choosing? (I.e., the equivalent of Windows custom beep/Start/Stop sounds.)

I'm sure all of the Prius' sounds are digitized; but I'm also betting it's in ROM, and/or in a location in memory that is either unknown, or impossible to get at without reburning Flash memory.

Yes, I know it would be ill-advised to do so. I just think my driving experience would be enhanced if, when I pressed the POWER button, I was greeted with the first few seconds of Al Hirt's "Green Hornet Theme." :mrgreen:

That, or the multi-information screen comes on with:
    "Hi! I'm Troy McClure! You may remember me from other automobile multimedia screens, such as the Honda Insight's `Fitting your child in the trunk compartment', or the BMW Series 3's `If you have to ask what this button does, you don't need it.'"

(Boy, I miss Phil Hartman...) :cry:

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I thought I remember hearing someone who had a startup CD that they somehow set to play whenever the car started up. Don't remember the details of whether it was the 2004 Prius or another car.

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

...or the classic, "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..."

Or, "Shut the damn door!!! instead of the Door Ajar beep.

Limitless, custom blingy possibilities.

Bob

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

they have been doing it for year, as noted, in windows, and more recently in phones. i'm sure it's just a matter of time. right now people are just amazed with the car. when that thrill wears off, these little details will follow... custom screen backgrounds, stuff like that.

we all know it can't be that complicated, just another operating system

5. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I remember seeing a very low level manual for a Honeywell Level 6 (DPS6) computer that documented how to modify the microcode. One of the first things it said was that since you now have this manual (it was a special order) all warranties are void!