1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Customizing lock functions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by barbaram, Jul 16, 2009.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've tried several times and I'm just doing something wrong. The manual is just not concise to me. guess it must be a blonde moment....
    I'm trying to change the lock functions so that when you put the car in "P" NO DOORS unlock, or only the driver's door.
    Can someone please help?

Thanks!

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Driver’s door linked door unlocking function:All doors are unlocked when the driver’s door is opened within 10 seconds after turning the "POWER" switch OFF."

That seems to bethe closest option to what you want. Here's how from the manual (but I recall someone posting you need to be in Ready for this, not just in power on.
    1. Close all the doors and switch the "POWER" switch to ON mode. (Perform next step within 20 seconds.)
    2. Shift the shift lever to "N" or press "P" position switch, and press and hold the driver’s door UNLOCK switch for about 5 seconds then release.

When the setting or canceling operation is complete, all doors are locked and then unlocked.

2 people like this.
  3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tried in vain to use the owners manual instructions to program the door auto lock/unlock function. Ended up having the dealer do it (gratis :)).

4. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An amendment to the Automatic door unlock when put into park instructions:

1. Get in the car while it is off
    2. Start the car -- "Ready" (this implies pressing the brake pedal as described in other posts)
    3. Press and hold the driver side door unlock button for 5 seconds, and release. (the car is already in park, you don't press the Park button)
    4. The car locks will auto lock and unlock to tell you that it's done

I did this just a minute ago in my car.

I wrestled with the official instructions for a while with no luck, until it occurred to me that I didn't have to press the "P" button because the car is already parked (even though the manual said to do it).

10 people like this.
  5. pepekraft

pepekraft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I struggled with this for quite a while, and it was a little embarrassing because I'm a proud card-carrying geek, and I could not get it to work.

The key, for me, was timing how long to hold lock or unlock. The manual says something to the effect of hold the lock or unlock key for 5 or more seconds. Whey it should say is hold lock or unlock for exactly 5 seconds. Once I started counting the blinking colon on the clock (thanks to another posting) and released the lock very close to 5 seconds, it worked.

Posting in case anyone else thinks the way I do and had the same problem.

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone!
    I finally got it fixed but don't ask me what I did other than skip the "p" step!

happy to still be blonde!:rockon:

7. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you! I finally got this to work by:
    - Get in car and close door
    - Wait at least 30 seconds since it was turned off
    - Step on Brake
    - Hit power button and wait for READY light
    - Hold lock in on drivers door for 5 seconds (as Jim256 said, count 5 : flashes on the clock)
    - Release lock at 5 seconds.
    - Repeat entire process with unlock held down (Don't need to get back in car, just wait 30 seconds after your turn in off -- this is the time it takes for the dash lights to go dark)

On my car this enables locks at 15 MPH and unlock when opening drivers door. Don't know how to get back the defaults.

The manual is just plain wrong.

3 people like this.
  8. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are FOUR modes for the automatic door lock/unlock. The first one locks the doors when you take it out of Park, the second unlocks the doors when you put it in Park. The third locks the door at speed and the fourth unlocks all the doors with the driver door opening. When performing the customization for this setting, the position of the shifter is what tells the car which mode you want, pressing the lock/unlock button tells it to apply the lock or unlock part of your chosen setting. Note that these modes are separate from each other, you can make it lock both with the shifter leaving park AND the 12-15MPH speed at the same time.

So to expand on what others have posted:
    1 Get in car and close door
    2 Step on Brake
    3 Hit power button and wait for READY light
    4 Choose a mode from below, remember that repeating the steps will do/undo the setting (toggle it on or off):

4a If you want the doors to lock when you shift out of Park (into Drive, Neutral or Reverse), keep the car in Park and press the lock button for 5 seconds. (as Jim256 said, count 5 : flashes on the clock)

4b If you want the doors to unlock when you shift into Park, keep the car in Park and press the unlock button for 5 seconds.

4c If you want the doors to lock when you go over 12-15 MPH, put the car in Neutral (push the shift lever to the left, midway between Drive and Reverse, and hold until the display says N on the MID) and press the lock button for 5 seconds.

4d If you want the doors to unlock when you open the driver's door, put the car in Neutral and press the unlock button for 5 seconds.

Use the brake to keep from rolling while doing this! :)

5 If the setting 'took', the car will respond by locking/unlocking the doors. If not, turn off the car and try again.

6 If it's doing the opposite of what you want, just turn off the car and repeat what you did! It toggles the setting and it's easy to undo something unintentionally.

There's actually enough combinations of modes, you can do almost any combo, like locking only with no auto unlock at all, for instance. The feature where it re-locks the doors if you unlock them but don't get in the car for a minute can be adjusted or disabled only by the dealer AFAIK.

Hope that helps.

san, ramattos, kalome and 13 others like this.
  9. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my car I just left it in Park and it switched to lock at 15MPH. I can't believe they screwed up the manual so bad. Wonder if they were trying to get the dealer even more business.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm... Putting it in Neutral while setting it up made it perform that way for me. I'm going to go down and test it all again. There appears to be 4 modes instead of the two I thought previously, 1 - Shifter activated LOCK, 2- Shifter activated UNLOCK, 3- Speed activated LOCK and 4 - Driver's door activated UNLOCK. And they can be set or un-set.

I'll edit my post above after I go down and retest.

THE MANUAL IS NOT WRONG! It's just unclear.

1 person likes this.
  11. sghouse

sghouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the great set of instructions. Seems there are many who are having trouble with these functions on the car.

Using your instructions I am able to get the lock functions where you leave it in PARK to update but the functions where you change to NEUTRAL do not respond. It seems so simple, but after many attempts at 4c and 4d I am stumped. Any suggestions for me? thx.sgh

12. sghouse

sghouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I figured out my problem. I needed to complete the steps faster! The manual says you have 20 seconds to complete the steps but mine wouldn't change unless it was completed in less than 15 seconds from when the READY light came on.

If you are having trouble with changing the lock functions try zipping through the steps a little quicker.

cheers, sgh :typing:

13. cmalberto

cmalberto New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can some post what the default settings are for the door locks? I don't remember seeing what the were in the manual. I am thinking I will put back if I don't like them the way I might change them

Also - I am definitely a Newbie to the Prius. I had to re-read the manual to unlock the doors from the outside. But before I read I could have sworn the doors were locking for me if I walked away from the vehicle - I had to be dreaming this as I can't find it mentioned on this site nor the manual anywhere. It seems like a cool feature since it uses proximity trans/receivers. My biggest question with regards to locking and unlocking from the outside of the vehicle is how to UNLOCK all doors. I haven't been able to figure this out. Perhaps I have information overload today as this is my first real day with the vehicle.

P.S. This car has exceptional get up and go in the POWER mode.

--Mickey

Danny3xd likes this.
  14. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't be certain, but I think default was lock/unlock with shifter position. It may be different in different cars though.

The doors lock in 60 seconds after you exit and close all doors. See pg 580.

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My pdf owner's manual lists it as an option on page 588. 60 seconds is the time it takes for the doors to lock themselves if they are not opened after being unlocked. It can be set to 30 or 120 seconds, or turned off completely. Other than that feature I haven't found anything in the owner's manual about the doors automatically locking.

16. cmalberto

cmalberto New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will someone post the link to the PDF. I remember stumbling upon it but can't find it now.

Thanks.
    --Mickey

17. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can get it at: Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website

Go to the owner's manuals section and search on customization.

18. Spee1113

Spee1113 Diehard Dolfan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    GREAT! Thanks alot Sphyrna, this worked perfectly!!!

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're welcome, I'm glad that helped! And thanks for the message, I ruined what could have been my first 60MPG tank in order to do all the testing, changing settings, test again, repeat to toggle off the setting, repeat to toggle it back on if it was something I wanted to keep, test the settings in combinations, etc. It's nice to know it worked for someone and was appreciated! Maybe this next tank...:p

20. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Changing whether the driver's door unlocks all the doors or not is much easier to change than the auto lock/unlock function.

With the car Off, press down both the lock and unlock buttons on the remote, hold for 5 seconds & release. The car will beep, and a nifty graphic on the dash will show which mode you're in. Repeat the procedure to switch to the other mode (1 door or all doors).

You can do this from inside or outside the car. If you do it from outside, make sure you hold the remote fob below the level of the window.

4 people like this.