1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CV Axle Tip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uagent, Jun 11, 2016.

1. uagent

uagent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced the front CV Axles on my 2005. The shop that did my passenger side wheel bearing didn't put the dust cover back on, and as a result the ABS splines wore out.

In any case, thought I'd share a tip I discovered while removing the old axles. There are flats on the side of the inner CV housing that are intended to be beaten against with a hammer and pry bar to pop the axle out of the transmission. Once it's free, you should be able to slide the axle out the side. You'll know when it's free, because each tap with the hammer will push the axle nicely instead of barely moving. If at first you don't succeed, try try again, then rotate the axle and try again. As it turns out, you want to try to be on the opposite side of the c-clip opening to compress it enough to pop out. Once you find that sweet spot, the thing comes out with ease.