1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CV Joint Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Humidity, May 26, 2021.

1. Mr. Humidity

Mr. Humidity Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Recently, I've noticed a shimmy developing in the steering wheel when I drive my 2007 Prius over 60 mph. I've also noticed my gas mileage has dropped considerably. Based on past experience with other, non-hybrid cars, I think one or more of my CV joints will need to be replaced.

My questions:

Are CV joints on the Prius roughly the same as in non-hybrid cars?

Is replacing a CV joint a job that could be done outside the dealership (if the shop is reputable)?

Do my symptoms strongly suggest another problem? If so, what?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) yes

2) yes

3) tires? steering rack? other suspension parts? was there a steering shaft bolt recall?

how many miles on her?

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most problems with CV joints are usually wear in the outer joint (often due to a split protective boot) that shows up as a clicking noise when accelerating forward or backward in a turn. Wear in the inner joint can happen (but less often) and that shows as a vibration only under load (accelerating) and stops when you lift off the gas.

Your symptom is textbook tire problem such as balance, but could also be a shifted belt or flat spot.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.