1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CVT+DWL=FML

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Revan86, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Im sure by now most of you guys are sick of me:( lol

Im having a really hard time with the cvt. With my Honda fit DWL was my biggest hypermiling style but now it basically just makes me mad. I just cant seem it make it work. As i slow down when I go up hills my speed AND mpg also drops, a lot. I know i should not ride the battery so much but it feels like the only way I can pull some real mpg's. Most days i just blame it on traffic and the @$$#*(%'s in some kind of 1-10 mpg trucks riding my butt so hard I want to scream rape. However today I closed my store which means by time I am heading home there is next to no one on the road. Therefor I was able pulled out every hypermileing trick I know and was only able to get about 75mpg over the 20 mile city trip. I really feel like it is because of the cvt the Prius C has. I know that this car has more mpg in it i just cant seem to tap into it. I understand that 75 mpg is good and I should be happy with it but I really feel if I could just master this CVT I would be able to be happy...ish with my ability to get mpg's. As is I do not really feel worthy of the title as hypermiler which my staff have already started calling me despite my threats of firing them :D

2. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You'll continue learning the proper approach to your routes. DWL works great in theory, but, of course, it can be very anxiety-producing when there is traffic around. Basically, skills need to be blended a bit instead of being used in a strict way. I do a pure DWL when there's a passing lane (also encouraging people behind me to pass so I can go slow later on). However, when there's no passing lane and a hill of any significance, I accelerate with a given power demand on the HSI well before the hill, then maintain that demand (i.e., keeping the HSI at the same spot, whatever I learn is needed) the whole way up the hill. This helps by increasing kinetic energy going into the hill and allowing the car to get over it quicker, and also helps prevent "too slow" pace and having to mash down the accelerator and being less efficient later on.

I don't like going "faster than normal" because of the increased wind resistance and decrease FE, of course, but if you time it right, you'll hit the hill 5 to 10 MPH faster (or more) than normal and also give the speed right back so you're not wasting energy going too fast in an extended way. Also try to maintain enough speed up the hill so that you can glide down the other side.

There are many different skills to be used in hypermiling, it takes some flexible thinking and creativity. Keep at it.

Finally, as far as the 75 mpg you're talking about, you're probably not going to get much higher than that without road conditions being extremely ideal (80 degrees, downill, strong wind at your back). Don't forget temperature affects FE, too.

75 mpg is a great day hypermiling- you SHOULD be happy with it!

3. Revan86

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am happy with it, very happy. Most days i get to work for less than a dollar, 20 miles for less than a dollar!!!. I guess it kinda feels like winning a silver medal. Very happy but knowing there is better.
    I use all kind of techniques, P&G, reverse passing, dwb, fake turning, three lights out, ect. I just seem to suck at dwl. I do great with it on flats but as I go up a hill everything falls apart. Like I said most the time I just blame traffic but I don't think it really is traffic its my skill, or lack of it. I have learned that hypermiling is all about adapting to ever thing and every one around you. Using the best techniques for the situation you find your self in. Some times that means dwl and I suck at it lol.

4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I got to ask what they are: CVT, DWL, FML, HSI, and FE.

5. Revan86

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    continues variable transmission, drive with load, somthin somthin my life, fuel economy