1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CVT fuild change.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dipper, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I went to Piercy Toyota twice, and two different times.... their service managers said Piercy does not have a service for changing the CVT fluid.

If they do not want my business, I guess I should not give them my money.

So is there any good dealership or independent shops that know how to do the CVT fuild change (in the San Jose Area)?

My wife's Prius has 50k now and would like to keep it for many more miles... especially now she puts in more than 100 miles/day.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What model year Prius?

Are you willing to do it yourself?

Do you have an independent mechanic you trust to do the work?

It is a fairly easy job but the 2001-03 has a slightly different process from the 2004-current. You might also consider having the coolant replaced but if they don't know how to change the transaxle oil, someone at their shop needs a 'clue by four.'

Bob Wilson

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dipper, please fill out your car info. we need to know year and location... well.. we know you're in san jose.

i would try capital toyota. they have pretty a pretty good work force over there. no overfills :)

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i need to get this done too... if i can ever find the instructions to it.. i'll do it myself.

after i get my oil change done ...... which i have the oil for and filter...

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

It's a 2005. I don't want to do it myself right now. So hoping if anyone has done it around here in the SF Bay Area. Mainly in San Jose around if possible.

6. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

I'm is So Cal so I can't help you out with a mechanic. But the process is fairly simple. I have done it myself. Next June I will take pictures when I change it again. If you want to piece it together there are instructions with some pictures here.

Bottom line, there are two hex wrench nuts to open (high one first, ignore the hissing sound), bottom one dumps the fluid. Get a funnel with about 3 feet of tubing to put in exactly 4 quarts of the Prius special fluid--only available at the dealer. 2 dealer only washers.

I would rate is a little more difficult than an oil change. Good luck.

PS, from what I read here, you don't need to change it until 50,000 miles.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest going immediately over to Luscious Garage
    where Carolyn and the gang specialize in hybrids and can do this
    stuff in their sleep.
    _H*

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I suggest changing it, I had a dealership tell me that there was no need to change the transmission fluid in my wife's Beetle as Volkswagen has "lifetime transmission fluid". So much for that as the Tranny gave up on me in that car at only 85,000 miles. :(

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it sounds like 85K miles was the life of that transmission - so no problem! :rolleyes:

Oh - you expected the transmission to last 150K miles or more? Never mind...

If you have 2G, you will need a 24 mm (or 15/16") socket to remove the fill plug, and a 10 mm hex key socket to remove the drain plug. Make sure that you do not remove the drain plug for the inverter/transaxle coolant by mistake.

The correct fluid to be used for 2G is Toyota ATF WS, which should cost ~$5 per quart.

1 person likes this.
  10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    And a reasonable dealer charge to do it for you is $90 (including 4 quarts of Type WS ATF).

JeffD

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd like to add the one small advantage of do it yourself is time; that is when I change my fluid's in any car, I let it set over the drain pan until it stops dripping, within reason of course. My prius transaxle I waited 2 extra days, got maybe an extra quarter cup of fluid this way. So, if you can wait...Also, 4 quarts may be a tad much, was for me.

12. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did this fluid change too (at 65K on a 2006) with no problems, thanks to helpful tips on method, materials and tools from Patrick and Hobbit. The job took about 2 hours total (including the time to buy the 4 qts. of WS fluid and the two washers at the dealership at a total price of under $25).

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well done to all!

Bob Wilson:D

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What's the rush?

Did anyone bother to read galaxie's stickie ?

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is an example of how it is possible for reasonable people to disagree on a particular subject. I have participated in used transaxle fluid testing and have come to the conclusion that it makes sense to periodically drain and replace the fluid to get excess iron, aluminum, and silicon particles out of the transaxle. This especially makes sense since it only costs me <$25 each time I do the fluid change on my 2004 (at 30K mile intervals).

Some owners are content to believe that the factory-fill transaxle fluid will do a good job for 100K miles; to those owners I say "peace".

16. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For $25 per fluid change, it's no brainer. My car is near 22K miles and I will do my first CVT fluid change before 25K miles. I will continue the fluid change with 25-30K miles interval.

My cost is a bit higher as my local dealer want $6.25 per quart of WS Fluid.

17. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Weird question... but what do you do with the used transmission fluid?

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not weird at all. My area has a household hazardous chemicals recycling center (near San Juan Capistrano), so that is where I take the used ATF. Check with the company that provides your household trash disposal service to see what's available in your area.

19. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Patrick! We have a household hazardous waste center nearby. I just did not know if you took the fluid back to the dealer for recycling or not. I'm checking to see if my Trans. fluid was replaced at 60k service or not..if not, I'm at 78k.. so I'll be doing it myself.

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealer might charge you for it.

Our local government accepts hazardous household waste for no charge at its landfill -- not to end up in the dump, but rather as a convenient dropoff point for residents.