1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CVT Trans. Bump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by apinson32, Mar 7, 2011.

1. apinson32

apinson32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So i bought my 2008 Prius beginning of May 2010, certified with 25k on it. i'm about to hit 43,500 which is coming up on a service with my service plan i purchased.

The problem i've been having is whenever i'm driving down the road, and i start out accelerating and i get up to around 45-50 mph, my car makes this slight bump, almost like an older car when it shudders into overdrive, sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's kinda rough, wondering if i should ask the dealer for a transaxle change? The problem started earlier this winter, i've never had it before.

Also my mom owns a 2007 Prius with almost the exact mileage of mine, and she doesn't get the "bump" i'm experiencing.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Alex.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi apinson32. Does it only happen when you're gliding (electric mode) or does it also happen under engine power?

There is a really slight "bump" at 42 MPH when you're gliding, due to the engine rotation kicking in (or out if you're decelerating). That's 100% normal but your situation sounds a little different.

3. apinson32

apinson32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's whenever the engine is running, ive watched the current MPG and it seems to do the weird feeling around 38-40 MPG as I'm letting off the gas from accelerating up to speed. The engine cutting on after 42 mph is a different kind of bump. There's no bump at all in ev mode.