1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cycle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius2go, Aug 10, 2007.

1. prius2go

prius2go Member

Happened to me today

key in key slot power on
    lower all windows
    open all doors
    open boot
    start cleaning car

3 hours later

beep beep beep beep beep beep........
    does it want me to take the key out?
    take it out
    close all doors and boot
    lock
    unlock

try to open boot
    nothing happens
    open door
    try to switch on
    all warning lights plus big red triangle

oh nooooooo
    battery?
    clamber inside to boot
    just read this morning about taking out floor and finding manual catch
    done
    boot open
    find 12V battery right side
    that is tiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back into house
    grab meter

8.83V
    oh noooooooooo

still

get charger connect to mains
    set to 2A
    connect to battery
    volts gradually build

12.5V
    back into drivers seat
    switch on
    warning message
    battery will not charge in neutral put into park
    oh didnt know it wasnt
    do that & engine starts
    beep beep stops phew
    symbol shows charging main battery
    but is it charging 12V battery?

leave for a while - engine cuts after about 1 minute
    well thats not going to charge battery - is it?
    turn off ignition etc
    continue to charge 12v battery through charger

Is this the correct procedure?
    :unsure:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not clear what state you had the car in during the wash...IG ON I presume since you were able to lower the windows...I'm suprised the 12v lasted 3 hours before it died.

Your post is a bit hard to read in the copy format, but the correct way to charge/jump the 12v is via the connectors under the hood(aka bonnet?) (owner's manual covers the details) rather than at the battery directly.

Once you get the car running the 12v is charged via the HV battery, not via the ICE. I'd leave the car in Ready mode for at least 20-30 minutes to assure the 12v is fully charged. Again, the ICE need not be running, but if you want to go for a drive while the 12v is charging, then feel free. If you want to go inside and have a beer, that's OK too...the car will take care of itself.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]493525[/snapback]</div>
    That will certainly work.

By the way, The engine does not charge the 12V battery directly. There is an inverter between the 200V battery and the 12V battery that supplies the 12V battery with voltage for charging as needed. As long as the car is in "ready" mode the 12V battery will continue to charge off the 200V battery.

If the 200V battery runs down far enough, as long as the car is in "ready" mode, the engine will turn back on the charge up the 200V battery again, and then shut back off.

When the car is not in "ready" mode the car disconnects the 200V battery, so it is not able to supply the inverter (and therefore the 12V battery) with any voltage to keep the 12V battery charged up.

4. prius2go

prius2go Member

yes IGN on

what is 'ready' mode?
    its sat there now with key out
    but with blinking red car with key inside symbol

I disconnected the charger soon after above as there was a fizzing noise coming from the 12V battery
    it's currently at 11.5V

8.83V means one cell ran out?
    How many years does the battery typically need replacement?

5. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]493537[/snapback]</div>
    The car has 3 "modes" of being "on".

Starting with the car off

If you don't put your foot on the brake and you press the on button once, the car goes into "ACC" mode. In this mode a few of the 12V accessories will work, but you can't shift into drive and the engine will not come on. The 200V battery is still disconnected from the car so the inverter is not supplying any voltage to keep the 12V battery charged.

If you don't put your foot on the brake and you press the on button twice, the car goes into "IGN-ON" mode. In this mode a lot more 12V functions are available in the car (such as the windows). You still can't shift into drive and the engine still will not come on. The 200V battery is still disconnected from the car, so the inverter is still not supplying any voltage to keep the 12V battery charged.

If you DO press the brake firmly and press the on button, the car goes into "Ready" mode. The word "ready" is displayed on the instrument panel. The 200V battery is now connected and the inverter is supplying voltage for all the 12V funcions of the car including keeping the 12V battery charged. You can shift into Drive, and the car will start up the engine anytime it finds it needs to (including to keep the catalytic converter warm, and to keep enough charge in the 200V battery. The car will stop the engine whenever it finds it isn't needed.

If you are using an external charger, then it really doesn't matter right now for the sake of charging the 12V battery, other than to be aware that by putting the car into "ready" mode in the future, you can keep from running the 12V battery down in the first place. However if you disconnect the external charger and leave the car in "ready" mode the car will recharge the 12V battery for you from the 200V battery.

6. prius2go

prius2go Member

when I thought about it I did know what 'ready' mode was
    - when these things happens all sense goes out of the window

After writing my last post I put the key in and got the car into ready mode
    after a few seconds it started the ICE which ran for a minute charging the main battery before shutting down again
    It's sitting there now in ready mode

I've noticed that the puddle lights stay on forever when the doors are open.. is there no timer to turn them off?

7. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]493553[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure, but I think you answered this question yourself ;)

8. prius2go

prius2go Member

so I did :D

the ICE started itself after 30 mins in that mode
    ran for about 2 minutes
    then switched off
    :rolleyes:

9. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Sounds like your back to normal :)

10. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Did you you ever try the manual everything is explained quite nicely.

11. prius2go

prius2go Member

I had skimmed the manual but I didn't expect to be in a no go situation with a beeping which wont stop, and unable to start the car. What would I do if I didnt have a charger to hand?

The main battery now has 2 lilac bars B)

12. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]493627[/snapback]</div>
    Use jumper cables and a friend's/neighbor's/friendly stranger's car?

13. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]493627[/snapback]</div>
    To lower the windows you had to be in the "ACC" mode. Which means the radio works, the windows work, the interior lights are on and you are not charging the small 12V battery. The manual warns you not to leave it in this mode for long periods as it drains the 12V battery with no way to recharge it.

Take sometime and really read the do's and don'ts with this car, you will save yourself lots of grief.

14. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]493627[/snapback]</div>
    Even though you have 2 purple bars(there are only a few colors in this world and fruits and flowers do not count except for orange lol) you still have adequate charge to start the motor(the ICE starts on the BIG HV traction battery through one of the MG's....not the tiny 12Volt auxilery battery. The SOC(state of charge) that you see on the battery is the indicated level between 40% and 80% for the usable range of the HV Traction battery. The battery ECU will not let the battery go below 40% or above 80%.....ie have you tried to get 8 green bars on your battery???? It is very, very, very hard to accomplish this unless you have a three to 5 mile down hill slope at about 6% grade or more and the battery is already at 6 bars. The Battery ECU tries to maintain 60% SOC on the traction battery all the time. This is to maintain the life of the battery.

Now to the charging of the Auxilary 12 Volt battery. If you read the owners manual you will find that you are not supposed to use a regular car charger on this battery. They charge with toooo many amps and will cause damage. I purchased a small motorcycle/boat battery maintainer just for the aux 12 v battery in case I really need to charge. I also purchased one of those jump start mobile devices that you can plug into your wall at home for 12 hours or so. I put this in my cargo area for emergencies. I will charge this once every two weeks inside to maintain it. The jumpstart device has a small air compressor, light and 12 Volt cigarette socket for aux power and has a set of 2 foot leads attached to the main wires, it will go up to 1200 amps for a jump I have considered purchasing a nanopulser from sigma automotive to help maintain my 12 V aux battery but have not yet ......$ think it is 75-85$ Ouch. Hope all of this helps you.

If you have the door open and you place the vehicle in drive you will get the Neutral battery will not charge warning....I have done this several times with washing and waxing...It says it every time.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fast answer: the next time you clean the car, either

1. Do it in less than 1 hour

2. Do it outside or in a garage with the garage door fully open. Turn the car ON ("Ready"), as though you were going to drive it away. Shift to Park and apply the parking brake. Now the car will run the engine as needed to keep itself charged normally; obviously you should be VERY CAREFUL if you fool around under the hood because the engine may start at any time. Turn the car OFF when you're done.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 10 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]493716[/snapback]</div>
    Or just turn it off while you're cleaning it!

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 10 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]493733[/snapback]</div>
    +1. Out of curiosity, why would you turn the car on while cleaning it?

18. prius2go

prius2go Member

I'm not understanding something with the switch on sequence
    first press of the power button doesnt let me open the windows
    second does
    then the car is switched on
    Also
    I'm used to having timers which power down various lights etc if the doors are left open too long :mellow:

Interesting about the brake and ready light
    I do press the brake before trying to select R, but maybe not enough for the ready light to come on
    that may explain why it doesnt beep and doesnt let me select R
    pressing power off
    then twice more
    allows me to select it though

needs more research! B)

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 11 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]494057[/snapback]</div>
    Huh!?

I think you're making this WAY too complicated.

If you want to drive the car, as surely you must know by now, get in, depress the brake and push power once. When the dash displays "READY" put it into whatever gear is appropriate and drive away.

If you do not want to drive the car or have it in READY mode:

1)Leave foot off brake

2)Push power once for ACC (so you can listen to the radio and not a lot more)

3)Push power twice for Ig On (so you can raise/lower windows, run the fan, and most other functions short of driving the car).

To turn off the car push the power button once from Ready mode

To turn off the car push the power button once from IG On (foot off brake otherwise you go into READY)

To turn off the car push the power button twice from ACC (foot off brake otherwise you go into READY)

20. prius2go

prius2go Member

I knew it was confusing :p

so me pressing power twice to get it to power up
    then pressing the brake
    trying to select D or R
    doesnt work?
    then releasing the parking brake
    and again trying to select D or R

Actually I think selecting D works
    It's R that is randomly not available
    but might be due to not enough pressure on foot brake

will research tomorrow :blink:
    thanks

In 3 above is that the mode where I flattened the battery
    i..e. where it doesnt charge it from the main battery?