1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder 1 misfire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Searching forum but maybe someone can chime in.

P0300 and P0301 code.

Changed plugs still running rough. Pulled plug 1 after test drive. Threads are wet but electrode is light coat white after 4 mile drive.

Put injector cleaner in tank to see if that was issue also.

Coils are about 17 months old and have about 40,000 miles on them.

Should I get new coil for #1? What other areas should a be looking at?

When I pulled old plugs 2,3,4 we're white electrode and #1 was not to bad but was a bit wet and black (worst case thinking rings on #1 but praying it's something dumb)

Car is 2006 with 275,000 on it. Been maintaining it well as we use it to doordash

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't white plugs indicate combustion chamber is running hotter than normal? How are your coolant temperature numbers looking? Is the problem new enough to write it off as a bad tank of gas?

Also, I've never heard of a bottom end bearing failure in a Prius engine other than when it throws a rod, but when you get 2 quarts low on a Gen2 Prius the lack of oil in the crankshaft will create vibrations that show up as those misfire error codes. So maybe they aren't misfire codes, but some kind of lubrication issue?

3. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Coolant was a little low but not bad. Good news is seems fixed. Replaced #1 coil and smooth as a dream

mr_guy_mann and PriusCamper like this.