1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder one misfire code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fisherman247, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Fisherman247

Fisherman247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hope someone here can help me out. Seems like my mechanic cant over 300.00 later. I have a 2006 prius with 256,000 miles on it. Just recently replaced the battery pack on it but I keep having the check engine light come one. Took it to my mechanic and they said the code was a cylinder one misfire. They replace all the spark plugs. 300.00 and a day later right back on. They said it could be a dirty fuel injector. They ran fuel injector cleaner through it. 100+ bucks and a day later check engine light back on again. Can anybody here help me out? I am trying to sell it but I cant keep pouring money into it and its hard to sell it with the check engine light on. Car has no rust on it and it runs great. thanks

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Diagnosing a misfire takes a bit more effort than the dealer expended. Spark plugs are only part of the path. Did they check the coil on that cylinder, any of the connections (the boot, etc). A competent mechanic can put a scope on this car and see the exact behavior of the cylinder. I would get another mechanic who can properly diagnose problems.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is a light on, there is a code to be read (or did someone forget to clear the CEL?).

If the only DTC (code) currently thrown is a P0301 (misfire on cylinder #1), one would generally check the plug, coil, or fuel injector. But when that fails there is more to check, and here is the same workup for DTC P0301 that a professional mechanic would use : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0300.pdf

What kind of injector cleaner did they use; when you add a bottle of something to the gas tank you want a product that contains PEA or Techron. It is doubtful they hooked into the fuel rail to clean, and most don't have an injector flow bench. With 256k, it also could be time for new/rebuilt injectors. I bought four (4) for $23 online when I changed out the plugs last year.

What kind of plugs did the mechanic install ? (example: Denso SK16R11)

Check the coil for "carbon tracking" in the rubber area, if no carbon tracking is found (and after testing of course) you may need to replace the coil. Since you first noticed the problem (or a little before), has it been raining much in your area ?

On a side note, those four (4) plugs likely cost around $50 retail and the labor shouldn't have been over one (1) hour to R/R. Like @jb in NE said above, it might be time to shop around a little.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would have switched the #1 ignition coil with the #2 ignition coil and see if the problem moved to the #2 cylinder.
    An ignition coil can appear fine until it gets stressed by heat or load then it can act up.These coils are relatively cheap ebay has some Denso coils for $15 apiece. Hard to understand why the mechanics didn't change out the coil when they replaced the plug. A faulty coil, a faulty spark plug or a clogged injector are usually the causes of this code. Switching the coils is a basic step in troubleshooting this problem, as suggested it well may be time to look at a different mechanic.

#4 John321, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019