1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

d#mn aluminum hood!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mgb4tim, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back in the mid/late 60's, some MGBs had aluminum hoods. Sure, they were lightweight, but they didn't like to be taken out of the garage.

Good for me, since I make fiberglass reproductions, but bad for those who have to buy them.

Fast forward 40+ years... who's idea was it to put aluminum hoods on the Prius???? Did anyone do their homework?

I've found my second mini dent/chip on my hood this week. I could understand it if I heard something hit the hood, but I had no reason to suspect a dent! It would be different if it were just a chip, but a dent?!?

Looks like I might be making a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood after all. But I'll have to fill the dents with clay to make the mold.

Grrrrrrrr.

2. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! That takes me back. I owned a couple MGTD's, a 1954 and a 1955. I wish I'd had access to fiberglass hoods and fenders for them. The original fenders were made of heavy gauge steel, like tanks, but when there was a fender-bender, they were almost impossible to reshape.

Sounds like you may have a winning business idea!

3. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have an aluminum hood on my 97 Volvo 960 with 110K miles on the clock and I'm having no problems with it. :confused:

I keep hearing the Prius has an aluminum hood. It was a real surprise to me since it weighs so much. :rolleyes:

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's the angle of the hood that catches everything. I'm gonna guess that the volvo hood is a bit thicker than the Pruis.

I'm thinking some sound deadening material on the back, if it's accessible, could help.

I'm also thinking a carbon fiber hood on my silver car might look sharp.

5. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aluminum hood saves 15-20lbs easily, why not? It is also stronger than steel, resist rust. The hood is also higher than the engine, you want as little weight as possible up top

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there's no was that small hood save 15-20 pounds. A steel MGB hood weighs 27 pounds and it's a good bit bigger.

How is the aluminum hood stronger?

I would venture to say they are more costly, as well.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would take an entire aluminum body if the price was right.

Tom

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    More malleable than steel seems to be the issue here. A steel hood would probably spring back from hits that the current hood can't...

1 person likes this.
  9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    try a land rover defender...LOL

10. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your MGB also came from the 50s, where they haven't figured out how to build a safe or a reliable car. The chassis on that thing is softer than a piece of noodle, jack up one side and try to open the door if you don't believe me.

RX-7 was one of the few cars I know that came with the option of steel or aluminum hood from the factory, the difference was over 20lbs on that vehicle.

I don't know the exact grade of aluminum or steel Toyota uses, but I am pretty confident that they would pick a piece of aluminum that is strong enough to be part of the front end of a vehicle......

11. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car would also be 15-20lbs heavier, it would handle even worse. I would admit that aluminum does cost more.

12. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aluminum is mixed with other metals to produce a variety of aluminum alloys, and these alloys are subsequently given a spectrum of heat strengths. So just because the Prius hood is made of an aluminum alloy does not necessarily mean it is more prone to denting than some other material. For decades aircraft structure and aircraft skin have been made from aluminum alloys - quite successfully.

As for my 2010 Prius - no dents so far.

Jim

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Softer than a noodle? Check this out - http://www.tgnagy.com/mgb/images/200007/spit1.jpg (from http://www.tgnagy.com/mgb/progressPages/199912.CFM)- mounted on the bumper supports (still there today as I havn'et been able to work on it lately) that are part of the unibody chassis.

Sure, all the MGB's rusted at the thought of water, but that's imported Russian steel for you.

14. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I realize that aircraft use aluminum skins. I'm just making the statement that I've not had a car hood dent so easily. I've seen paint chips from. highway rocks, but they've never dented like this. Especially when I didn't even notice the rock hitting. You'd think that a rock that hits like that would startle you, like when they hit a windshield.

My intent is - if you are on the fence about the clear plastic bumper and hood protection, get it.

15. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    that's right. so stiff that most of them are totalled. there is a reason why miata are great sports and race cars and why mgs aren't

16. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've actually contacted a few of the import tuners in the Southern Cal area to see if they make a CF hood for the new Prius. I guess my initial reason for it would be lighten the car (although the weight savings would be barely substanital), but then my ulitmate reason would be to have a something that looks different. I have a winter grey metallic with the solar panels, so the look of a black carbon fiber hood might match the blackened glass and solar panels... Too bad none of them have contacted me back.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    118,185 miles of driving my 2004 makes me wonder about cause. Since all I had was a bunch of tiny pits from all the winter sand & salt, I'd suspect a non-driving event.

For me, the color of aluminum & silver paint makes the tiny chips pretty much impossible unless you're standing on top of them. No rust bleed or steel flaking to ever wonder about (a big deal here in Minnesota) sure is nice. The reduced weight is obviously a perk too.

18. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All Miata's have aluminum hoods. Doesn't seem to be a problem there. I assume the angle of the Prius hood as well as aluminum being softer metal combine to be a problem.

19. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you serious? Nothing like a few decades of technological advance to give the Miata a bit of an advantage? Have you ever ridden in a sport tuned MGB? Have you ever driven a tuned MGB? They are a heck of a good time. Sure a Miata will outrun your average MGB, but it would outrun a Mustang of the vintage same era.

I didn't think I'd have to defend my second child here, I'm just miffed at the hood of my car that has 2 dents within 3 months of ownership. I had my Caddy with a dent-free steel hood for 146k miles.

Just trying to grieve a little. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on;).

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My NSX was all aluminum and never had a problem with dents.