1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dad's Prius vs My Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by AlisonJill, Mar 29, 2008.

1. AlisonJill

AlisonJill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I find this fact interesting: both my father and I have the '07 Prius (his is white and mine is red) and I get better gas mileage than he does. Of course, I have double the mileage he does as I drive all over the county for my work. I seemed to have managed averaging between 47 and 48 MPG while my father averages around 43 MPG. I have to say that since I've gotten my Prius, I'm never going back to anything else.

Plus, I have a sticker on my bumper that says "My car starves terrorists. Does yours?" Many other Prius owners have complemented me on that sticker.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Face it, Dad is a rev-head!!
    :D

3. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The color is the reason you have better gas mileage. You would get over 50mpg if you were driving a Mag Gry! :humble:

4. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I would be willling to bet its just the opposite That dad is trying to hard taking off to slow and draining the battery..I have learned from reading, alot of people make this mistake..I know I did coming home with my prius today..Battery is bad...But that is all just my opinion I am a newbie...

5. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    His mileage certainly isn't bad, and if you have double the miles on yours then I would guess that he does a lot more short trips versus your longer ones, thus he's driving a higher percentage of his miles with a cold engine which is a mileage killer.

I just got brave today and went and pumped my tires up to 45/43 just to see if that makes a difference (I was at 42/40). I use a bicycle pump, Prius tires are small enough that while it takes a bit of pumping, I can add pressure without difficulty.....and can put the air in while the car is in the garage, shaded and cold rather than driving to a gas station to do it. Maybe I'll invest in an air-compressor one of these days, but don't mind the little bit of exercise. I also pulled the trim-rings and like the way the wheels look without them better. Tomorrow I'll check it out and see if the added bit of pressure makes a difference to both the ride and the mileage. These cars are a hoot......and don't pollute!! :p

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HardCase is right, I was just mucking about. I get 55 - 57 and I accelerate like I been jabbed with a cattle prod.

7. AlisonJill

AlisonJill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, my father does drive shorter distances than I do. He basically drives to the supermarket and back or my parents use his car if they go out to dinner with friends. (Mom drives a convertible.) Plus, he accelerates so darn slowly while I tend to get up to speed as soon as possible and set cruise control. It's annoying how slow he drives sometimes.