1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DaimlerChrysler Rolls Over on SMART

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by mehrenst, Jun 28, 2006.

1. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FRANKFURT, June 27 — Are Americans finally ready to get Smart?

DaimlerChrysler, which shelved an earlier plan to bring its Smart minicar brand to the United States, plans to announce Wednesday that it will introduce the tiny two-seat vehicle to the American market early in 2008, according to several executives at the company.

Full Story here >>>

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's smaller than a Fit or the other new subcompacts which seat 4 with luggage room. It's smaller than the Mini even, and looks great to be a daily-driver commuter car.

Makes me wonder why they won't also consider brining over their A-class cars? Too small and not fuel-efficient enough?

3. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the expected $15,000 price, seems like a lot for a little car. 60MPG estimated, looks like no cargo room. 0-60 in 16 seconds, top speed 84MPH. Not speedy!

It's cute, but doesn't seem like a good value. Reminds me of a Honda Insight, kinda (at least for looks)

4. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

I think it could be a great option for inner city commuters, and it seems there has been a significant increase in the sale of scooters lately which I attribute to fuel efficiency and ease of parking. Maybe there is a niche for the Smart.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two Smart cars together don't add up to the seating or cargo capacity of a Prius. They're very small, soft on the inside, and seem to come in candy colours, so I call them Smarties. :)

6. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jun 28 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]278272[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get me wrong, I won't be buying one, but the fact that two Smart cars together don't add up to one Prius (or pretty much any car) may be what sells them to certain people. If I lived in the central portion of a large city, and commuted on city streets (not interstate) I would consider one.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh I though the Smart Car was an EV car. Not interested at only 46mph gallon in the city. I can get that with my Prius. :(

For now I will stick to my Prius and Daimler Chrysler Gem.

I think the car is cute though. I would need it to be an EV to be interested though.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Jun 28 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]278293[/snapback]</div>
    Real cute. If you like roller skates... :rolleyes:

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not a born Chicagoan. I've been downtown quite a bit and every time it's an adventure to me. But what gets me is that there are roughly 7.5 million people living in a very small area. And driving: living and driving. They drive big things. Alone. A single person will have a huge footprint on the road. For downtown, the Smart is an excellent option.

Acceleration rate it irrelevent: you can never get up to 60 so your 0 - 60 speed doesn't matter. Top speed is just fine since it's slightly illegal to drive faster than 80mph on North Michigan, not that you could.

Shoot, even out here in the 'burbs I would be a great candidate for a Smart since my top speed pushes 50mph during my regular bumper-to-bumper commute.

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I was in Greece last year, I saw many Smart Cars in downtown Athens. Very popular and for good reason, the city parking is obviously a major issue there. However, I don't recall seeing one on the highways or out in the countryside.

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 29 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]278515[/snapback]</div>

Back in the day I was a GREAT rollerskater! I'm sure it would ALL come back to me ;)

EXCEPT I would ONLY be interested in the car if it was an EV

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 29 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]278515[/snapback]</div>
    A real cool car! I like the 4 door model too......
    They should be a hott seller here in the US. They'd make a great 1st time buyer car and give those who complain about car prices something to drive..! ;)

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw this article yesterday and read it with great interest. The SmartCar's have always facinated me. I've actually seen one in the US (western CT) and it REALLY stood out next to the "standard" US cars. In my experience, they stand out a little less in Europe, where cars are, in general, smaller.

My favorite quote from the article:

"DaimlerChrysler notes, however, that the Fortwo is the only car in the world less than 3 meters (roughly 10 feet) long.
    That makes it small enough for two to squeeze into a single parking space. Or for drivers to park it perpendicular to the curb without protruding beyond other parked cars — a practice that is forbidden in some cities."

Now, that's just cool!

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They've made fabulous EVs out of these little buggers... and though many people have said they'll sell EV conversions here, it just never seems to happen. Sad. They make perfect little commuters that way.

15. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

Being a big guy, I would have to buy one for each foot. (sigh) The big problem that I see is that although it might be an excellent car for getting around in cities, I would not want to drive from Boston to New York in it. I don't think I would be comfortable driving it on a high-speed highway where the first trailer truck to zip past me would blow me into the bushes. That means that for most people this would be a second car, and not much use if you had any kids.

16. j24816

j24816 New Member

At 15K this is going to be a tough sell. Under 8K I think it would have a good future. Its going to be interesting to watch, not sure what they are going to put into it to justify the price. Hope it works....

17. narussian

narussian New Member

My favorite quote from the article:

"DaimlerChrysler notes, however, that the Fortwo is the only car in the world less than 3 meters (roughly 10 feet) long.
    That makes it small enough for two to squeeze into a single parking space. Or for drivers to park it perpendicular to the curb without protruding beyond other parked cars — a practice that is forbidden in some cities."

Now, that's just cool!
    [/quote]

I live in Dallas and I saw a SMART parked 'perpendicular to the curb,' it was brilliant. But in Dallas? I doubt I will see another, I am sorry to say that this is Hummer Country.

18. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

I saw one 3 days ago. SOOO weird looking.

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 29 2006, 06:29 AM) [snapback]278530[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, parking in Athens is a major issue! When we were in Greece about 10 years ago, we were rented something called a "Seat" (rhymes with Fiat), which was powered not by the proverbial hamster, but a runt mouse with asthma. In a square wheel. Anyway, we discovered that there are not, in fact, any traffic laws in Greece; merely traffic SUGGESTIONS. You could not PAY me to ever again drive anything unarmored in that country! :blink:

THAT'S gotta hurt... :eek:

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jun 29 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]278968[/snapback]</div>
    True! Just like most motorcycles, and most sports cars sold today.... but with the advantage that it is more protected than a motorcycle (and better gas mileage and emissions than many) and cheaper and more efficient than most sports cars. Right tool for the job. It isn't a good cross-country vehicle any more than an SUV is a good single-occupant commute vehicle. :)