1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dallas Morning News Editorial

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eastercat, Jun 1, 2005.

1. eastercat

eastercat New Member

*This editorial is especially notable, considering
    the Dallas Morning News is not known for being
    particularly left-leaning.

Helping the Hybrids: Fuel-efficient cars deserve HOV, parking perks

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...s.f771c0c7.html

username: [email protected]
    password: access

10:01 PM CDT on Sunday, May 29, 2005

It's 7:23 a.m., the height of rush hour, and you're running late. But not to fear. You jump in your trusty hybrid and, despite being its sole occupant, zip right onto the freeway HOV lane and past the poor gridlocked sods in their gas-guzzlers.

In fact, your commute goes so quickly that you've got a few extra minutes in which to pick up your dry cleaning. This involves parking on the street, in a metered space, but even though you have no change, you park with impunity.

There are states and cities where those scenarios actually exist. In Virginia, drivers of hybrids can use HOV lanes regardless of whether they carry any passengers. In the cities of Los Angeles, Albuquerque, N.M., and San Jose, Calif., hybrids park at city-operated meters for free (although they must still obey time limits).

Could those things happen here? Yes, although one is easier to achieve than the other. The city can do whatever it likes regarding parking meters. The state can't open most HOV lanes to all hybrids without Washington's OK because they're located on interstate highways.

The major federal transportation funding bill that is awaiting a House-Senate conference committee expresses "the sense of Congress that the Secretary [of Transportation] and the states should provide additional incentives (including the use of high occupancy vehicle lanes on state and interstate highways) for the purchase and use of hybrid and other fuel efficient vehicles."

That is the sense of this editorial board, as well. Unfortunately, President Bush has threatened to veto the bill unless conferees trim out tens of billions of dollars. Even if the bill does die, though, separate legislation was filed in both the House and Senate earlier this year to achieve the same purpose.

Of course, even the brightest ideas have their downsides. Virginia, which got a federal waiver five years ago to allow single-occupant hybrids on HOV lanes, is wrestling with a new problem: Its HOV lanes are clogged, just like regular lanes. For now, that's a problem for Texas to aspire to.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WTG Dallas Morning News!!

i knew that i subscribed to that paper for a reason...

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Opening HOV lanes to single-occupant hybrids is counter productive. It does nothing to increase fuel economy *per person* because hybrids are already so efficient, and as has already happened in VA, once the HOV clogs up overall fuel economy goes back down and air pollution goes up. Hybrids (the well-designed ones, like ours) need no market incentives.

Free parking, in contrast, is an incentive that at least does no harm to overall fuel economy. Of course it still hurts air quality if it induces someone to make a longer drive than they would otherwise.

4. Orsino

Orsino New Member

We know that we're about to see a rush to put the "hybrid" label on any vehicle with an extra battery and an extra mile per gallon. I'd hate to see the HOV lane clogged with big honkin' 20-mpg SUVs.

I cetainly wouldn't mind opening the lane to vehicles rated in the forties or better. Perhaps it should be a limited-time-only deal, say for the next five to ten years, as an extra incentive to drive the sales of real hybrids, or other ultra-efficient cars--because fifteen years from now I suspect that only the 40-plus vehicles will still be on the road.

5. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It does seem to be somewhat counterintuitive if HOV lanes are to reduce the number of cars and you have laws that encourage people to not carpool.

Granted, the one non-carpooler is producing less emissions that ten carpooling cars, but VA is already finding out that there is a downside to this practice.

I'm with Richard, lets do other incentives that don't lead to more traffic problems, like free parking. Or who wouldn't like to see the tax deduction be a yearly deduction for hybrids instead of one time?