1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Damage to my Grill in the front! Repairs?!? Pictures included

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by csciguy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. csciguy

csciguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well hello there. I hate this topic to be my first post but anyones input would be greatly apperciated.
    My partner was driving my car one recent evening and he happened to run over part of a big-rig's tire that had blownout. As much as I wish he could have avoided it he had to just go over it. Now the damage is done to the lower front part of the car. The car lost most of the little grill, that is where the fog lights go (my package doesn't have them even though I can see one socket for them). The outer part that surrounds the grill is still intact.
    Now it doesn't look too bad when you look at the car standing in front of it since the front part of the car's hood covers the view of it., however I've only had the car for 2 months and I'm sad to see it look like this.
    Has anyone had this happen to them and had it repaired? Does anyone have any advice or any experiences of getting their body repaired and can share them with me?
    Please ask for more information on this if you are having trouble understanding the damage I described.

On a side note, I thank the many who contribute to this forum. I came here before buying the car and continue to come here since. I've gotten the warranty and maintenece package through here as well. Many thanks!!

*Edit*
    I added 3 images of this.

Attached Files:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the extent of the damage (you might want to post pictures) really determines the advice here... If there's any sort of welding involved, you should take it to the dealer (or whoever the dealer uses if they're small). There are certain procedures that need to be followed to prevent excess heat from the welding damaging the computers, battery, etc. It's nothing to worry about if the shop knows what its doing, but a simple "local body shop" most likely won't.

When you go get your estimate for the repair and consider insurance deductables and such, also ask your agent what it would do to your insurance payments. Depending on the company, asking them to pay for a small thing like this might not raise your payments (at least, the first time...), but then again, they also might. Make sure you weigh any increase in payments against the cost of the repair. if you don't charge it to them, your rates definately shouldn't go up. (My experience includes two different incidents of being hit in parking lots and having doors dented pretty bad, with no note left. in each case, it ended up being cheaper in the long run to pay the whole thing (about 900 each time, with a 500 deductable) than incurring the increased rates).