1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dang, nail in my tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Oct 31, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bringing in the trash and thought my driver's side rear tire looked a little low. Figured I'd check them all since it's been a bit cooler.
    Sure enough they're all a little low....when I get to that driver side rear it's at 20psi!!!
    Not good me thinks.
    Start airing it up and felt around for any air and feel a gentle blowing...take a look and there's a nail or staple of some sort....looks like a double puncture.

I aired up and it seems to be holding enough to let me get the kids...but now I wonder how long it's been like that and I'm hopeful it's repairable under my road-hazard warranty (Sam's Club/Wal-mart)...tomorrow's project.

What a PITA.. :angry:

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope you don't have to go this butt-ugly route! :p

[​IMG]

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Every time I see that picture I crack up laughing. What WERE they thinking?

Ever thought of painting it? I think the nearest hardware store would be my first destination!

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is most likely the law that the space saver spare must be yellow. I know in Australia it is a requirement under the national vehicle standards. The idea is that anyone who drives the car will know the space saver spare is in use so will adjust their driving to suit. It also ensures you get right to it and get that tyre fixed. What do you do with a full sized wheel when you use the space saver?

Evan, sorry to see your car is a lemon, I hope this doesn't happen to me. If I knew the Prius was so unreliable I would never have bought one. This will wipe thousands off the trade in value, oh my, whoa is me.

There, someone had to do the sky is falling routine, how did I go? :D

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ Oct 31 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]533143[/snapback]</div>
    There are some that don't take the TEMPORARY seriously and use the spare as if it is a normal tire. The choice of using a loud color obviously gets the message across.

As for the puncture, it's probably just fine. I haven't given mine from last spring a second thought. The patch seems to be doing the trick. Of course my previous puncture did provide an excuse to upgrade...

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 31 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]533118[/snapback]</div>
    One down, three to go. <grins>

I've long wondered what MPG one would get with four of them. Of course you'd need a cylinder of helium-oxygen mix with a nasal cannula to talk your way out of ticket if stopped.

"Yes Officer?" he squeeked.

Bob Wilson

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In less than 4 months I have had 2 tires pick up nails. :( I have been accused of off-roading with Fiona, but I guess I'm just (un)lucky. Every new car I have had has picked up at least one nail in the first year I owned it.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Nov 1 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]533188[/snapback]</div>
    Do you live near new housing or near a carpenter or plumber? Carpenters and plumbers vans and trucks are a prime source of nails and tek screws.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    double puncture? ay, that's bad news. hopefully they can patch it but usually the doubles screw you over.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 31 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]533215[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you've brightened my day! :blink:
    I'll see how it goes at the shop tomorrow...

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 31 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]533224[/snapback]</div>
    sorry :( blame the nails. or the staple. or whatever it was.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update...
    Turned out to be a single puncture, the nail had bent over and just looked like a staple and double puncture. So it was repairable, covered under my Sam's/Wal-mart road hazard warranty. Had the tires balanced and rotated while I was there (also covered) since it hadn't been done for quite a while.

They did, helpfully, reduce my tire pressure to 35/33...didn't even bother asking them to adjust...I'll just do it at home.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update...
    Turned out to be a single puncture, the nail had bent over and just looked like a staple and double puncture. So it was repairable, covered under my Sam's/Wal-mart road hazard warranty. Had the tires balanced and rotated while I was there (also covered) since it hadn't been done for quite a while.

They did, helpfully, reduce my tire pressure to 35/33...didn't even bother asking them to adjust...I'll just do it at home.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up a screw in the local hardware store parking lot the first
    year I had the car, right before heading off for its first great
    southern odyssey... the hardware store people got a minor earful
    about "you sell lots of BROOMS here too, right?" since there's often
    crap strewn everywhere around their lot.. but a local place did a
    perfectly serviceable plug/patch job the same afternoon for all of
    $15 and I rode it at 45-ish psi till I swapped out the Integrities.
    That incident was sort of what spurred the TPMS project, though, so
    it's all good.
    _H*

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 1 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]533415[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, nice job Hobbit, somehow that particular project hadn't come to my attention previously. That would've been perfect for this nail situation since the leak was so slow. It probably took 4-6 days for it to get down as low as it was. In fact last weekend was an interstate trip to Memphis and back and my mpg was a little lower than I had expected for the highway segments...now I wonder if my pressure was getting low even then.

When I first started reading that page I thought "I wonder if he'd put together a circuit like that for me?" But as I read on I saw how complicated it was to implement....both for you to do the circuit and for me to do the wireing....so no such request is forthcoming!

16. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a nail in one of my tires too. It sucks because it is one that is not repairable. I only have 15,000 miles on the car, so I'm figuring if I want to get a new tire or not. I've been looking for a good used tire, but haven't found one yet. I've been filling it with air every 4-5 days. I hate nails too. I've definitely gotten my share of nails in tires.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 days ago (2 days after repair) I noticed that my glide was draggy feeling...just didn't go as far as usual and I had a couple 5 minute segments on my usual commutes that were far lower than I expected. Yesterday (3 days after repair) I checked the pressure on the 'fixed' tire and it was down to 35psi from the 50 I'd put it up to.
    Back to Wally World this morning (just what I love to do after a night shift) to see if they can fix it properly b/c I can't be airing it up every 2 days. Ugh!

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what, you mean you don't LIKE stopping somewhere after a long night of work to do something that should have been done correctly in the first place?

hope they get this right... it's a damn tire patch. geez.

19. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did they in fact patch it, or just plug it? I don't trust a plug by itself, but unfortunately that's all many shops do.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The patient is terminal....
    They found another hole, near but not the same place as the first one...but too close to the edge of the tread to repair. Wal-mart doesn't carry the HydroEdge. I got it at Sam's. Called them and they have to look at the tire, confirm lack of repairability, order a new one (also not kept in stock), I wait 5-7 days and then they'll prorate the cost to replace...prob. run me around $60 since I've had those tires on for over 2 years and around 40k miles (they're rated for 80k I think).
    Bummer...more running around, wasting time and then I've gotta break in one new tire....ick.