1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Danny needs help from our members for site content!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, May 5, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey guys -

I try not to make it that often that I'll ask for much from our members other than to enjoy your stay here at PriusChat and to support our Sponsors, but lately the list of things I want to add to the site have been quickly outgrowing my available time. So, if a few of you 1,600 folks out there wouldn't mind helping me out on a few things, it would be an unbelievable help.

Thousands of people come to PC everyday and I (and others) think it would be helpful to have all of the information on the Prius in one place. So, instead of having PC mainly be a discussion forum, have it be more of a Prius Information Center.

Here are a few of the things I thought I could ask for some help on and wouldn't take too much time to accomplish:

General Specs/Info Section - Brief description of the Prius, various stats like you would find on Motortrend of edmunds.com (Engine type, HP, ABS, etc etc), a section with a description of the hybrid system, and anything else you could think of.

Real-life pictures of all the colors (since there seems to be an overwhelming response of “Wow, that’s not how it looks on the Toyota site†when someone sees a member’s pics). Several shots/angles of each color and what they look like "in the wild." I believe a great place to start looking for these pictures would be John1701a's site (please request his permission and the permission of any other picture owner before using it for this article).
    Update 5/5 12:38pm
    Cybele's going to handle this one for us:

Newbie Page – something quick and small with links to most of the frequently posted threads and frequently asked Prius Questions. Bookrats is actually putting this together already, so if you have any suggestions for him, please post them here.

Any additional ideas??

So, Danny, what do I get for helping you out?

Well, you greedy bastard, I've got something in mind for you :)
    Authors of these various "articles" will be of course recognized in the article, and would also receive a free PriusChat.com window decal. The prototype is in the mail to me as I type this, so they should be in production in a few short weeks.

As always, thanks for being a member of PriusChat and contributing to the forums!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoever takes on the task of compiling this list are welcome to use my images (please give proper photo credit) of my Seaside Pearl:

http://priuschat.com/forums/album_personal...l.php?user_id=3

3. cybele

cybele New Member

I'd like to help out with this one - I have some ideas on how to show the different colors really well.

I'd love to photograph cars just for PriusChat, so you'll have photos no one else has.

But I only have one car to experiment on - so I'll need some help from PriusChat members in LA. (Unless I can just stalk the ones that I see around the neighborhood!)

I'm looking for Driftwood, Black, White, Silver, Salsa and Seaside.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you, Cybele. With the # of PC members we have in the LA area, I don't think it will be a problem to find them all :) And thanks to Evan for suggesting the use of your pictures. Those can be Cybele's fall-back if she can't find a seaside to photograph.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yeah, Tideland's been pretty well displayed elsewhere. :) (Also, I think there was a thread on Seaside Pearl pictures as well.) I'm pretty sure RobertO's posted pictures of his Driftwood '04 on PriusChat somewhere.

However, I agree -- it would be nice to have several pictures of the car from several angles. (The same angles for each color? Oh, ignore me... I'm an engineer.)

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

No, wait... Not in the face! NOT IN THE FACE!!!

Oh, wait... something nice?

Here's what I've got so far for topics updated 5/12/04:
    • How long is the wait for a new Prius?
    • Can I order a Prius to my specifications?
    • How can I reduce the wait time for a new Prius?
    • Can I buy a Prius for less than MSRP?
    • What is the MPG for a Prius, really?
    • Increased air pressure in tires: does it increase MPG?
    • How long do the Prius' battery last? And what will it cost to replace them?
    • Does running the air conditioning or heater affect MPG?
    • Can I play an MP3 Player/iPod via the Prius sound system?
    • Will there be new options or colors for the 2005 Prius models?
    • What's "stealth mode" / the EV button?
    • Synthetic motor oil: Worth using in a Prius?
    • What's the "B" gear? And does using it affect gas mileage?
    • SE/SS: How does it work? And how secure is it?
    • Is there a problem with the Prius gas gauge? (Possibly combine with filling the tank / the gas tank bladder).

• Etc., etc. I plan to look at the VFAQ site and John's site, and borrow some of the FAQ questions they've used. Don't want to make the list too long, or it becomes a chore for newbies to search through it (this can be alleviated a bit through the way they're organized).

Please add your suggestions for topics!! As Danny said, I'm aiming to make the answers brief, and then point the reader to threads, documents in the File Library, or external links that will discuss the topic in more detail. Also, we'll try to encourage them to post in existing threads, rather than creating new, duplicate threads on a subject.

I'm tied up this week, but next week will get into this more fully. I've got an outline for each FAQ's format; we'll put some out there, get some feedback, and hopefully improve the contents and format over time.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about strategies for minimizing the wait time?
    -Accepting varying colors, packages, doing region or nationwide search, etc.

8. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny, i think those are great ideas. i've been involved with another site and after a while the design and organization of the site itself bubbles to the surface as a real usability value.

i think the basic sections you've listed are great.
    for process, i'd suggest a thread devoted to this, as you've started already, with a link to a "prototype outline" page, where you could take our inputs and mock them up in a sandbox practice area to look at.

after a bunch of suggestions come in, they will probably fall into one of the 4-5 major categories, (plus "misc/other") and the site will sort of "redesign itself" for us.

great idea!

oh, and rather than copy John's pix, if he's agreeable, links to his pix take up less server space than replicating them on PC.Com, unless you deliberately decide to not risk the chance of broken external links....

cool!
    now where's my camera....
    :)

9. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Danny,
    How about a section for accessories and Parts? I get several emails a week asking for sources on iitems that I have mentioned here. I would be glad to collect sources if there was a place to list them.

Mark

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To protect our sponsors' interests, I would prefer to not have a static page with links to dealers of certain parts & accessories. Instead, any member is more than welcome to write an article in the Knowledge Base providing a recap and central place for the various places to find Prius parts. Whoever the intial poster of the article is will have the edit rights to add/delete links or products as they come about.

I just don't want it to be the "Official PriusChat Source Guide" to be kept up by me when we have paying sponsors that help offset some of the costs of the site. I have no problem with a member doing it themselves and keeping it in the KB, though.

11. wardplace

wardplace Junior Member

I have really enjoyed this site since I found it via John701a.com. I has been very helpful in many ways - even in deciding if we wanted to order one!Although we are still waiting for our Prius, we feel we know what to expect. I have been accused of becoming PriusChat obsessed however - maybe it is just Priusessed.

Anyway, one of the things I have done to keep up on what is happening with the Prius is use the Google ability to send me all news articles pretaining to the Prius. It is very interesting to follow. I imagine anyone could do it themselves, but it might be nice to add forum with links to the more interesting and pertinent articles.

12. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

A definte question for the FAQ: How long do the batteries last / how much does it cost to replace them? 95% of the people I've talked about the car to have asked this.

Answer:
    The batteries are warrantied for 8 years / 100,000 miles* Right now it is estmated that the whole battery pack is $3000, but by the time they need replacing they should be mass produced and should be cheaper. Besides, most likely you won't have to replace the whole thing, but just a few of the modules (of which there are 28 (???))

Brian
    *I'm not in CA and didn't want to get in to the AT-PZEV thing

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PriusChat 2.0 will turn the main page into a Prius news source, and it will also be integrated into the forums (like a slashdot) so that discussion will be created by the news stories. Now if someone can help me write a script that will automatically take new stories from the Google email alerts I get and post them, that would be awesome...come on, programmers! :)

14. Papagena

Papagena New Member

How about a section on the gas tank (bladder??) and how to fill it to the max?

15. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fine, but include a warning that overfilling can flood the carbon vapor canister thingee, and can cause gas spillage. It is better to leave a tiny bit of space in the tank I think.

PriusChat has a nice interface, and some other sites have great content, but poor interfaces. Let's put great content on PriusChat for a site everyone will like.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm bummed that I have little to contribute being as I don't yet have my Prius. However, as an anxious waiter and curious mind, I am often wondering "How's That Work?" Not only for myself, but for all those people who see my keychain and strike up a conversation. When they ask about things, I don't have answers.

Before I put my name on the waiting list, I tried to do as much research as possible, but there were still gaping holes in my knowledge.

For example, when I told a coworker that I was on the list, she asked about plugging it in. I already asked about the SE/SS. Until I just now read N9IWP's post about batteries, I had no clue. And the list can go on and on.

If only I had my car, I would love to write a bunch of stuff on how it works. But alas, at last count, I'm #40 on my dealer's list and there are nine other identical cars in front of me. Projected delivery, March 2005. :?

17. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

I have tons of my tideland if you guys want them and all sorts of angles. We are detailers here, so the way the light reflects is very important.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just an bump since i'm still looking for someone to pull together the General Specs/Info Section data. All I need is the data is some sort of organized fashion. I'll do all the html coding to put it on the site.

19. cybele

cybele New Member

I had a terrible time taking photos of the colors (did a few captures in the parking lot at Fudruckers). So, I'm begging off of that.

But after seeing all those cars in a row, I'm pretty confident now that we can get great photos of all the colors from the members.

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, well, I'm sure that we can get some great seaside pics from Evan - who else can offer up some pictures of their car?

Perhaps we can come up with some standard angles/shots so that they look more uniform?