1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Danny. Whats up with the Reputation button?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by TheForce, Jan 15, 2010.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I see something new. Dont know how new but can you fill us in on the reputation button? Is it something useful or is it just for fun?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just sent him a pm myself asking how to disable it lol. Looked around a bit in the user cp but didn't see anything...

Seems there are many settings to set for it, so it could depend on which functions are enabled/disabled for it: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/vboptions_reputation

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, look at that - a new button to play with. In this context, a 'reputation' is a good thing, right? ;)

edit: What are the green and blue squares for? Have I been bad already?

4. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a bad idea. If you click your "User CP" you can see what reputations people have left you. It becomes a place for people to say mean things, etc.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it is a great idea. Trolls can no longer blend in with proud owners by simply posting a lot of message and thanking many people.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's part of an upcoming feature on the site where users will be able to basically vote up or down a post to give it credibility to other members. The reputation system will be built into this new feature.

I'm pretty sure you can choose to disable the feature for your account, but let me find out how.

EDIT: Found the option to hide your reputation under Profile Options:

http://priuschat.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

7. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Danny,

I just tried the reputation button for you and found it's pretty easy to just click and disapprove of you (which I did not try).

If this is a "troll control" we may have also given trolls a new tool to agitate us.

So let's assume someone disapproves of you for no reason (i.e. a troll). Is there a way for you to respond? Or do you just sit back and watch your reputation go downhill for no reason.

It sounds like a good feature; but if if misused could chase away good people.

Anyway not trying to hold back progress but thought I'd throw in my two thoughts.

8. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Danny, sorry to post again so quickly but when I went to your green square it read:

"at this point you are an unknown quantity" ...humm... (smiling here) so who are you anyway?

Just having some fun here :~)

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I approved TheForce and Danny. The rest of you can rot for all I care.

(dry sense of humor)

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An excellent idea to limit the reputation function to known and trusted members: story to follow.

About five years ago at GreenHybrid it was used and all started well....members with reputations like Bill Merchant were rated highly. However, a serial troller of hybrid and EV sites appeared and raised suspicious when a nobody had the highest ratings. Had the site administration been on the alert, the ratings sham would have been identified before a major forum-wide disturbance revealed what happened.

The troll had at least a dozen socks that all voted for him....regular members started to suspect this.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, do you know what this means? It's the reincarnation of the points system we had several years ago in a new form!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i will approve anyone who has reached the "thank daveinolywa 5 times" plateau...

13. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This "Reputation" thing makes me uneasy, if for no other reason than
    at this time it has unknown functions and meanings. It seems to apply
    both to individual posts, and more universally to posters themselves.

This "Reputation" thing seems to be an attempt to mechanize the
    unwritten process where by each of us as PC members rank posters in
    a private way. This would include considering things like:
    * Prius owner (yes/no)
    * # or ratio of thanks received
    * familiarity with the nature and content of many of the recent
    postings made by the member. (Comes from reading a lot of posts.
    Very subjective, but probably the most important component of a
    personal "trusted poster" rating.)

My User CP says that I have 10 "Reputation Points."
    * Where did they come from?
    * How do I get more?
    * How do I loose them?
    * Is 10 points good -- my Rep button is green -- or bad?

There is a button to positively rate a post, but none for a negative rating.

Is there a way to rate the poster as opposed to the post?

If you get negative ratings on an individual posting, does that effect your
    overall rating?

If there were a poll about this, I would be voting a "soft" NO on this.
    By the number of members who have already disabled their Rep button,
    I suspect this idea does not have a lot of traction at this time.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How it functions is based upon many of a few things, dependent upon how Danny has it configured.

What I do not like is a person can disapprove of a persons post for any reason they see fit. So if a group of users dislike a particular person they can continually disapprove of a users posts by clicking on the reputation icon ( [​IMG] ) and make their little green icon go red, as someone has already made Tony's go red.

I also don't like things which are based upon post count because then, some people feel a need to make posts just to get a higher post to turn an icon green, add more icons to their profile, whatever a site has implemented which encourages high post counts instead of encouraging meaningful posts. I used to leave the post count off on my forum because someone with 100 posts in which every post was meaningful meant more to me than someone with 1000 posts where 900 of their posts were unrelated to the site in say 'the watercooler'...

In the end, and this is only my opinion, most of us do not need a reputation light to let us know who is a reputable user on Priuschat and who is not. We're all smart enough to make that decision on our own without the need of a colored box or reputation count...

1 person likes this.
  15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The vBulletin default is all members start with 10 repuation points.

It's up to the Admin to decide if to enable the reputation function and tailor it in whatever way appropriate.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HEY! :eek:

Though I do like what the little pop-up says. I probably shouldn't complain about the truth.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Scarlet Letter?

I have to say I don't like this, I really, really don't like this. Maybe I'm not understanding the entire picture or process, but it seems like it allows other posters to attach a Scarlet Letter to other posters.

I think reputations are built by results in the forum. If a newbie is being mislead by a "troll" there are plenty of posters or "regulars" that usually steer them correctly.

There are ego's and personalities within this forum and I think having an assailable "reputation" is just allowing a degree of censorship. I personally wouldn't bother to even attack someone else's reputation...what's that about anyway?

Quite honestly as someone who has posted posts and threads that have been unpopular why should a minority or even a majority that may disagree with me and/or simply decide they dislike me be able to define my post or thread or reputation?

We assume we are all adults here, I think most people can decide who and what they want to take as valid and who and what they do not, without "The Group" or "Others" attaching a scarlet letter.

As I have said before, if someone, anyone doesn't like my post, thread, usual tone,....the smell coming from the screen when they see my avatar...whatever...they can simple and easily ignore my posts.

But why a partial forum implemented reputation validity system?

Seems like group enforced censorship and poor form IMO.

One of the first things within Prius Chat I have not liked....pretty severely.

18. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I don't know if I like it or not like it yet. It just depends on how its going to work.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could, but it probably wouldn't do you any good. And really, if you think about, earning 'bad points' from people who don't like what you have to say - truth is like that - could be a good thing. The votes say something about the voter and the votee.

Plus, there is a certain notoriety to earning the first scarlet letter on PC, by a moderator, yet. Way to go, Tony!

Uh oh. Mine was green yesterday. What did I do?

edit: And now it's red...where do I look to find the 'votes' and complaints? Oh, never mind. Now that there is a negative vote, it shows up. Thanks, voter, you've proven my point nicely.

20. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so how do I fit in here? :)