1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dans OttoNavi Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danorob, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought I would start a detailed photo thread on the install of the OttoNavi Unit... I will add to the thread tomorrow when I complete the install...

I started by pulling the factory radio, the IPOD interface and blue logic port installed blue tooth - Then I pulled the center console, glove boxes, A-Pillar trim, speaker and side trim, and lower birdge... (I had previously ran the ipod interface cable into the center armrest console)...

I will pull the front and rear door plates, rear seat, and rear trim in the morning (I took off tomorrow to do the install)...

First - I could not live with the Mic Showing - I pulled the Center Map Lamp console, even though previous people had indicated it was sealed...

It is not - I removed the Assembly - Pulled the board - and there was the blank where the factory mic would have been... I pulled the blank out of the mic bracket, and the mic in the foam windscreen fit perfect.

I then used a gromet to help secure it in position - then used two straps to releive any strain on the mic so it would not shift...

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very nice. I like where you put the mic. Do you think you'll have enough wire to get it back down to the head unit? If you do, then I'm going to copy you. Also, I'll be interested if you get good FM & AM reception. I checked to see if I'm getting 12 volts to pin 13 of the cars 20 pin connector to the head unit. The unit sends 12 volts to this line whenever the Radio is on (not when it's on IPOD, CD, or any other mode except the Radio mode) for the antenna pre-amp. Looks like the antenna is getting power, but I'm not happy with the reception.

3. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All,

Well it was a long day on Friday - Thank god that in NJ it was only 70 & sunny!!!!

I will post this installation is a few sections - First was the teardown of the dashboard, center console, lower bridge, A-Pillar trim, Vent, & Speaker Grill...

Attached Files:

4. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then I assembled the brackets to the new Unit – Neatened up all of the stray wires – Then added a 2-pin plug onto the blue reversing wire, and the pink brake/ground wire… this way if the unit has to be pulled for any reason, all the connectors can be simply unplugged…

Attached Files:

5. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The GPS antenna was mounted under the passenger side grey small window vent cover – I figured if I could see it through the windshield, then the GPS antenna could read the satellites – and it has excellent reception mounted in this area… I used 3M double sided automotive trip tape on the back – combined with the very powerful magnet, it will not move for sure – Then I used a wire tie and mounting tab as a strain relief – There was about 5 feet of extra antenna lead that was tied in a small bundle, wrapped with foam, and then wire tied to the same strain relieve mounting point…

Attached Files:

6. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Harness I previously made was extended under the roof, after dropping the headliner – This was the biggest pain and took the most time, because you have to pull all of the door weather-stripping, and rear trim and trunk panels, rear seat bottom, and side bolster vent piece… Attached to the headliner is a block of foam that extends to within 2-33 inches of the end of the headliner… The harness was taped into place the on headliner, flush against the foam so as to not interfere with the side air bags…
    The harness contained the Blue reverse wire, and the Video plug at the rear of the car… The pink ground lead was routed out of the harness under the dash, and mounted with a ring terminal to the factory grounding point on the right of the heater box frame…

Attached Files:

7. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I then extended the red and black power wires on the camera power harness, soldered, and heat shrank them, and then routed them following the factory harness to the pass through rubber tube into the body of the car, along with the video harness…
    Getting them from the hatch to the car was fairly easy… I just pulled the grommet out of both the trunk and the car body, and ran then through, then re-installed the hardness tube… The Hatch part was easy as it was just rubber, but there is a plastic retaining ring on the body side that you have to work out with your plastic pry tools…
    I did use a 6-foot video extension cable for the camera as the supplied cable would not reach – Plus this is better from a maintenance issue should removal ever been needed…
    Now with the camera mounted and wired, I put the trim back in place….

Attached Files:

8. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now with the camera mounted and wired, I put the trim back in place….
    Now I tested everything to be sure it worked, which it all did….
    I then re-assembled the rear of the car, and then as a final step, used a nifty little punch tool that may father gave me a set of years ago… They are from Snap-On and are the cleanest way to make a hole in anything including metal…
    I then mounted a rubber grommet to protect the 2-USB cables, and the I-Pod cable, which I chose to mount in the otherwise useless upper glove box…

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also had mounted two Foot well lights that go on when the doors are opened, as well as subtle amber lighting for the foot wells, and lower bridge that is on when the parking or headlamps are on –
    I originally used green LED’s but it just looked off with the bisque carpet and trim… Amber looks much classier at night… Here are some shots of the foot well, and Lower bridge lighting and wiring…

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And here are some pictures of the installed unit, along with some screenshots…
    I hope this may help anyone who is thinking about doing this type of an install…
    And the final two pictures are of my baby after giving her a bath this morning, and a Shot of our other car after It got a bath was well… (2009 MB C-350 4-Matic Sedan)…

Attached Files:

11. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unreal - I posted a question to you on your thread -
    Any Idea how to change the main clock from 24hr to 12hr format?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

12. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice and clean install, congratulation.
    IMHO, the Ottonavi is a best 3rd party Hu currently available on the real market.

13. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do we know the actual mfg? Roadrover? The Prius factory radio reception isn't great and one poster said this radio isn't as good. May not be an issue for many people but some of us still listen to FM (and AM)

This unit seems to work with the Toyota AV LAN BUS better then even name brand units. Supports the aux jack in the console and the JBL amp. I wonder how hard it would be to also support the factory microphone and XM.

14. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am the one with the Ottonavi that stated the AM/FM is not as good. The customer support guy is working with the factory to try and find a solution. I'll keep everyone posted.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great job with the install.

16. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you - I tried to be as neat as possible - I am a tad OCD with these types of installs, hence why it took 1.5 days !!!

Dan

17. Danorob

Danorob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think was posted in another thread -

I had this booked marked on my PC so I think it Mfg by FeDom China -

FeDom (China) Limited

As I said previously, I think the reception is very good, but then again I never had an issue with receiption on the factory stereo - I think NJ must just get stong signals !!!

Dan

18. Asperix

Asperix New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for documenting your extreme detail install. It certainly answers a lot of Q's for a first time installer. A couple Q's.
    1. Does the OttoNavi GPS speak street names?
    2. Does your aux input (in the enclosed central storage compartment) still work?

19. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dan--I saw the FeDom site. I'm not sure if FeDom is the manufacturer or a distributor. I've read both.

20. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is everyone just getting this from the Ottonavi website? I was wondering if there was a cheaper place selling it by chance. As much as I keep wanting to pull the trigger on this, I keep making myself wait to see if some sort of deal arises.