1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darn, I swapped ou the battery like 6 weeks ago and now all the lights are on again=(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used code reader, and no error codes stores so reset check engine, and nothing for 65 miles =)

All the usual lights came on again. The triangle, engine, brake light(dsc), and the "(!)" looking one. I wonder if the battery can go out that fast again. It came out of an 08 with 64k miles on it. I'll go down to the guys house who replaced it and he can check the engine codes and see.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck! Please keep us posted

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok now the dsc light and (!)light turned off, so it's just the triangle and check engine light. The message on the screen just says "problem" when the car starts up. So maybe not the hybrid battery. Time to invest in a check engine code reader.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you replaced your traction battery?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has your car had the inverter coolant pump replaced??
    And yes, please clarify which battery you had changed out and why...that's very unusual if it's the traction battery.

6. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I bought the car it had all 4 lights on, so I got a good deal and had someone change the traction battery, it's the big battery, not the little one. So all lights went out and it drove fine. Now it is just the two lights and my gas mileage is 32.8mpg, so a dramatic reduction from yesterday. When I look at the realtime mpg meter I can tell it isn't getting the same it did before. Traction battery is charging just fine, engine shuts off at light. I think the engine runs a lil longer that it did before. I'll have to check since I bought it used so I don't think the inverter coolant pump was replaced. I think there is that test to watch it while engine is running and see the coolant move like it should right?

7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This was done at 178k miles and I have 195k miles now "30K 04/NEWER DEALER, CABIN AIR
    FILTER, SUBLET-RENTAL CAR,
    SUBLET-RENTAL CAR, PRIUS HV
    WATER PUMP"

Is prius hv water pump the coolant pump?
    Ok I searched and found that it is. There was a recall so maybe that's why it was replaced. I should still check it. Could this cause reduced miles per gallon?

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the condition of the 12v battery[FONT=&quot]?[/FONT] When it starts going, it throws bad codes (like HV battery is dead when it is not) and other random things.

9. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I did the battery check with the screen it seemed to show it was fine. I did it a couple months ago. But the mileage really did drop by over 10mpg, so there must be something causing the engine to run longer, I think. I wouldn't think the engine itself is running so bad that suddenly its getting bad mpg.

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Better check that 12V again. It could cause everything that you report: lights and low mileage. Did the car give you these codes when you first started up, or was it in the middle of a trip?

1 person likes this.
  11. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was middle of a trip. I was putting up my real estate signs so I only drove about 3miles then did a couple stops where I left the car running then all the lights came on as I was driving like 20 mph in a neighborhood street. I'll look up the test procedure again. Thank you

12. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I did the battery check procedure. Car showed 12.3v, then when accessories turned on it showed 12.0, and would goto 11.9 and back to 12.0, but never dropped. If I turned on the headlights it hit 11.1, but the procedure didn't ask for headlights. Then I turned the car on and it stayed at 13.9v. Battery seems to be fine.
    I also did check the coolant pump and could see it is flowing fine.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are several coolant pumps. The one to look at here is the "Inverter Loop" coolant pump. When your Prius is in "Ready", look at the coolant reservoir to see turbulence. If no movement, either the Inverter Coolant pump needs replacement or you have an air bubble in the coolant loop that is blocking the correct operation of the pump.

If you see turbulence, you need to diagnose the problem with the HV battery. It may just be a connector needing to be reseated.

There are good, independent repair facilities in Northern CA. Check with either Art's Automotive or Luscious Garage.

JeffD

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definately check that inverter coolant pump to see if it's working--it would be my best guess as to the problem. Not sure that traction battery needed replacing (good deal or not). They propably reset all the DTC codes when they installed the traction battery...which is why they were not lit after the battery change and you probably didn't have a situation that triggered them to relight until recently.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You had some guy, not a dealer, diagnose and replace the traction battery?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure you got a good deal, mate. I don't know if the original battery was bad, or not. But it sounds like the replacement may well be bad. Or maybe it's just the 12v. Who knows, but it's time for a legitimate Prius certified mechanic to take a look and try to fix this thing for you....it may be costly, but I think you've had your shot at a "money saving" job.

17. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, so I got the code reader and plugged it in. Car had red triangle and check engine light. It said there were no error codes, so pressed erase or reset or something and check engine light went off. I drove back to my dad's about a mile and nothing came on. Then I drove home 60 miles and nothing came on. It wasn't behaving the way it did when it had a hv battery code so maybe it was some other intermittent problem or like a wire did have to reseat. I think I was driving in a neighborhood with speed bumps when the lights came on. So far so good. $6500 for an 05 with nav, bluetooth, smart key, and jbl still doesn't sound bad to me. But yeah, if I have to spend tons for repairs, but so far I haven't had to.

What i've learned is learn how to do it yourself. The few times I used a mechanic I was ripped off. Now I do my own brakes, oil changes, spark plugs, strereo installs etc. Even when I had my A4 and SLK I just got the OBDII tool that connected to my laptop to find the bad sensor and replace it. With a Prius i'm sure there will be a time for it, but so far it's proven to be a reliable car.

18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Next time it happens, run down to Avi's Automotive or LTS Mastertech and get the codes read.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm more suspicious than ever that it is the inverter coolant pump. Have you checked that yet? If that's all it is you can probably replace it yourself--heck, it may even still be covered under warranty as a recall thing at the dealer. If that's all it is get it fixed ASAP, avoid the lights and the headaches.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think he posted that he saw turbulence in the holding tank. That is a pretty good test, but he can grip the in and out hoses from the pump to check for flow to be sure.