1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darn second tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bloomerific, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bloomerific

bloomerific New Member

Hi there everyone,

I'm (obviously) brand new here, but I lurked a bit while waiting to have my Prius delivered to my door by my dealer two weeks ago tomorrow...a Barcelona Red Metallic 2007. I do in fact love this car so much I might pee my pants a bit. :)

Anyway--my first tank was filled upon leaving the dealership (my dealer's a family friend and was taking my old '98 Camry back as a trade in) by my dealer. During the life of my first tank (which was just filled for the 2nd time yesterday), I seemed to get around 46.5 mpg which I expected based on my readings here.

Now--after filling it yesterday, I'm only getting about 36-39 mpg on average. I drive about 35 miles to work each way. Maybe it was the torrential downpours today, I'm not sure. I live in Western New York.

Any ideas? I've read the article in the topic in the top of the forum...I guess I just thought (naively) that I would just always get 46-49 or better all the time!

Thanks in advance, glad to be here!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Sally, welcome to PriusChat! Yes, heavy rain can hit MPG hard. You'll get better milage after about 6000 miles and during the summer during either long road trips or slow traffic if you don't have to use the air cooling. Also, since you've read a lot here already, you probably know that different gas seems to affect each car differently. At this point, just get to know your car and see if you can glide more. You'll get the upper 40s again, and higher!

3. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 17 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]424498[/snapback]</div>
    I echo that welcome! I have to say thanks to posts from people like "HSD Head" and others your driving style is going to affect your MPG the most. Even my lead foot wife was trainable and consistantly achieve's high 40's on her 25 mile commute to her second job.

Its takes some getting used to but you'll get there and challenge yourself to do better and better..

4. chuck kershner

chuck kershner New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 16 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]424377[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to Prius World. I live in Central New York and own an 06 Silver Prius with 5,800 miles so far. My experience was exactly like yours - 49 mpg on the first tank, then lo 30s to a top of 40 since then. Reading PriusChat one is led to believe that we have a lemon Prius and it ought to be getting 50-60 mpg consistently, maybe more if we introduce some questionable modifications to squeeze more mileage per gallon from the engine. Or maybe the quality of gas in New York is poorer than just about everywhere else in America. Being a contrarian at heart, I now believe that the real answer to your question is: realizations failing to meet expectations. It has a lot to do with how Toyota (and other companies) market their mileage claims and how the human mind processes those claims. We are led to believe that 61/55 can be achieved because it came with the seal of approval of EPA testing; reality proves otherwise. Now those EPA numbers have been modified - downward - to ranges closer to what you (and I) are experiencing. Drive the Prius, enjoy the ride, forget about the mpg. It's still considerably better than just about any other vehicle on the road.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to Priuschat.

At least until June. The car can take a while to break in and also to "learn" your driving style. And for you to learn to drive the Prius. Right now keep your tires pumped up properly, helps stave off premature wear as well as helping your MPG.

And don't believe the skeptics, you can get great MPG. My recent road trip from Chicago to New England netted me a 52 MPG average which would have been higher except someone turned on the snow/wind through western PA and all of OH. In the city I'm in the upper 60's MPG right now.

Wayne

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck kershner @ Apr 17 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]424533[/snapback]</div>
    50-60 is definitely the high end for the average driver (I've met FireEngineer, he's above average :) ). But 40 should be attainable in all but the worst conditions. Worst is: trips of less than 8 miles, cold temperatures (anything under 60' makes a difference, but it really drops off when you get down to the teens or lower), and driving that requires a lot of acceleration. The Prius really responds to driving conditions and techniques - the same car one day can get 1/2 the mileage it would get for somebody else on a different route the next day.

Some general driving techniques that you probably know, but worth repeating: Keep your tire pressure at least 35/33 psi (40/38 is better), don't let it warm up a few minutes before driving, and don't try to rely on the battery too much. The battery is reserve for when you need acceleration, but it's more efficient to accelerate on the ICE alone when you can.

That said, I agree with your post about unrealistic expectations, especially with Toyota's recent commercials touting the high end of the EPA estimate. Expecting 60 mpg is going to disappoint a lot of new buyers. I was able to meet or beat the EPA in all my other cars, but not the Prius (at least not regularly, so far). A year later I'm getting better mileage than I did in the beginning, 52 mpg on this tank, mostly because of break-in and by careful driving because I have short trips.

7. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Apr 17 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]424609[/snapback]</div>
    I got a big mileage boost simply by inflating my tires to 42/40. I typically average around 57 mpg now. On commutes into work, my highest was 79.8 mpg.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Sallywny,

Yep there is some break in. But it seems you are judging your mileage by the gas pumped into the variable sized gas tank?

Especially in the the spring, when the weather is warming up, the pumped gas calculated mileage is way off from reality. This is because the amount of gas the flexible, expandable rubber gas tank bladder stretches more in warm weather.

For example, you fillup at 25 degrees, and get 8 gallons to pump in. Then two weeks later, with the same amount of gas remaining in the tank you fillup at 55 degrees - now 9 gallons of gas will flow. Say you drive 400 miles both times. Without any variation in the car's performance the first fillup gives a calculated mileage of 50 mpg, while the second 44.4 mpg.

People have done long term record keeping of the gas pumped, versus the MFD mileage, and find them typically within 1 percent. But on a tank to tank basis, they may not agree by a very large amount. This is because of the bladder stretch.