1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darrel's auto-door lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by lenjack, Jul 8, 2007.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone used this, and if so, is it simple enough, and is it working properly?

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Polite bump :)

3. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure what Darrel's auto-door lock is, but Coastaletech has one offered. Somehow it feels like big brother stuff going on when doors automatically lock! It kinda creeps me out like the car is now in charge and I'm a captive..... I always wonder what would happen if my car suddenly plunged into a lake or river. Could I get the door open? The windows won't likely work so I sure would like the door to open! :blink:

Of course, with the Prius plunged into water getting out might be a moot question! Would the circuits just short out or would we be fighting the "current"? :huh:

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Darrel's locks when the car starts, Coasaletech locks at 15 mph. Many cars these days hae this feature. My Camry's had it. I prefer it.

5. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jul 9 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]475896[/snapback]</div>
    Mythbusters proved two things:

1) the electrics are not likely to short out

2) you cannot get the doors or windows open, manual or electric, until the pressure inside the car equalizes with the pressure outside the car. In other words, until the car is completely filled with water inside, nothing you or anyone else can do will physically be able to get the door or windows open.

So if you think you want/need manual locks and windows so that you can get out if you plunge into water, don't worry about it.

Now, if you're in an accident and the firemen are trying to get the door open but can't because it's locked, they're going to break the window. If the car locks the doors automatically, your chances of being in that position are dramatically increased.

6. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 9 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]475912[/snapback]</div>
    I know about the pressure thing. It would seem though that if the doors were locked electrically and the circuits did short, the chances of opening the door are slim and the odds of firemen being there in time are slimmer..... "if I had a hammer, I'd hammer on the win..in..dow....." But, has anyone found out if the Prius floats like the VW Beetle? Maybe my fears are false and I can float to safety! B)

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Jul 8 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]475180[/snapback]</div>
    I'd just like to point out that while I'm hosting that mod on my site, it isn't "mine" as most of the others are. I'm just the middle man on this one, so can't comment as I do now have it on my car. Oh... and "Darell" has just the one 'r' and yet a double helping of l's.

And to the subject of water landings in the car, this is how I solve it:
    [​IMG]

8. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

If the doors were locked "electrically" all that means is that the electrics physically engaged the door lock mechanisms--to which you, as an interior passenger, have full access by simply physically moving the little door lock button.

You HAVE tried this, right? You DO know that you can manually, physically, move the door lock buttons? And that that is independent of the electrics that actuate them? That the electrics aren't required for door lock/unlock, and don't prevent manual use of the door locks? Your battery can be out, the circuits can be shorted, and you can still reach over and flip that little button with your finger to lock/unlock the door.

As for the firemen, I was thinking an accident on the road. If the doors lock automatically and 10 minutes later you're in an accident and the firemen have to get you out, they won't be able to open the doors. They'll have to break the window.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 10 2007, 02:50 AM) [snapback]476024[/snapback]</div>
    Good point, Chuck, I guess I'd be ok under water...still curious if the car would float.

Lee