1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darwin's God

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Mar 6, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

An interesting article in the NY Times this week, on a fairly new field of research. It doesn't seek to determine the existence of God, but rather why people believe in God. There are a couple of competing ideas, but they both are derived from evolutionary theory. So if you are a creationist/ID person, you probably wouldn't concede this research validity.

Darwin’s God
    By ROBIN MARANTZ HENIG
    Published: March 4, 2007
    In the world of evolutionary biology, the question is not whether God exists but why we believe in him. Is belief a helpful adaptation or an evolutionary accident?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/magazine...xprod=permalink

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Evidence and rational thinking. (A) we were made from mud and got in trouble from a talking snake. or (B) we are a product of the evolutionary process. Once again r a t i o n a l thinking. This will count as a grade. :p

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One must not believe in God to achieve happiness. Pondering and struggling upon something that is not tangible nor provable is contrary to the path towards innerpeace.

But thats just my take on it. :)

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like I've always said,

No God, know peace
    Know God, no peace

People who believe really, really strongly in their religious views fly airplanes into buildings.
    I've yet to hear of an Agnostic mass murderer.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bottom quote explains why I disbelieve. Well partially lol

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have never witnessed such a gathering of people in one area seeking to assure each other that God does not exist. The fear is palpable in the hate, vehemence of the attacks and the bigotry of the thoughts expressed. In one attack after another for the last year or so that I have been a member I see the struggle to reach some type of inner peace and yet due to Gods grace it will elude you until the very end. And the funny thing is that that fear and inner discomfort is a blessing from God given to you for your salvation.
    I believe in a Awesome Loving God that is long suffering and willing to forgive as demonstrated in the sacrifice of His only Son on the cross.

God Bless

Wildkow

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 6 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]401088[/snapback]</div>
    And I have never witnessed such a gathering of people who refuse to accept reality. The fear, hate, vehemence, and bigotry is indeed palpable.

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 6 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]401088[/snapback]</div>
    Like the Catholics in Ireland murdering the Protestants and vice-versa? Like the Muslims in Iraq killing other Muslims for being the wrong kind of Muslim? Like the Inquisition or the Crusades?

Now name me one Agnostic who killed somebody for not being Agnostic.

I don't hate someone for believing in God, Allah, Jesus, Zeus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I do resent people who resent me for NOT believing the same thing. It's the hatred I hate, not the belief.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    everyone thinks they're being persecuted. it's universal.

10. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 6 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]401149[/snapback]</div>
    You're just saying that because you're out to get me, I know it.

11. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I personally do not know of any Agnostics that have commited mass murder in the name of "Agnosticism"..

I do know alot of angry Atheists though.. I'd say out of all the belief-systems, Atheists are the most angry. .. well..

Next to the Islamofacists..

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 6 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]401147[/snapback]</div>
    Agnosticism is "a theory about knowledge and not about religion." Can't remember who said it. Even if you do misconstrue the term to define yourself it is only a lie that you would believe because the second to the last sentence in your post clearly states that you don't believe, ergo, you are an atheist and I can name plenty of atheist who have killed for no reason at all.

Wildkow

p.s.
    To the best of my knowledge you have never distinguished between the two. Instead like all the others on this board you have used a broad brush to paint any and everyone that is a believer with the same hate and bigotry that infests you.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 6 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]400905[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny, I had just picked up a copy of Dawkin's The Selfish Gene the other day, and just over lunch today during chapter 5 had the same thought....

There was some talk a few years ago about a "god spot" in the brain, but I think that is still in question. Some in the psychiatry field also have a view that there are certain spots in the brain that are somewhat related to both spirituality and addiction, hence some of the reasoning behind fighting drug addiction, alcoholism, etc with a spiritual component--a sort of rewiring of the addiction through the spiritual part of the brain.

I'm not up on much of this, but it does seem plausible to me that there might be some neurone arrangement that has evolved over the years that may have something to do with a belief in god.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 6 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]401210[/snapback]</div>
    I read a similar article not long ago that postulated that people may be "hard wired" to be liberal or conservative. I'm sure some folks here on PC have opinions about that. :)

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Humans (and every other species) have fought over the resources around them since life began. And they will continue to do so until the sun burns out. We have always been a warlike species, which evolved from rock throwing to missile launching through thousands and thousands of years of unending wars. It is probably true that there will never be a time when there is not some sort of war going on (IE: peace on earth).

Given this, and in relation to the topic:

Athiests make POOR CANNON FODDER. (whether army grunt, suicide bombers, kamikazi pilots, etc.)
    Hence religion has a very important role in human evolution. Societies composed of athiests have probably never survived long, since no one would "take it for the team" without promise of a legacy, afterlife, 20 virgins, or whatever.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 6 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]401153[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: yeah, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

Interesting article, though. There are myriad reasons for believing in god and myriad reasons for not. I prefer not to pass judgement on anyone for their spritual beliefs. It's their personal business.

17. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 6 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]401181[/snapback]</div>
    Ahem. I am NOT an Atheist. Saying there definitely is no god is as stupid as saying there definitely is one.

Ah, yes, another trip to Bizarro World. Haven't been there since, well, your last post.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, YOU are the one who seems to hate everyone who doesn't subscribe to your narrow views. Me? I think religious views may be stupid, but that doesn't mean the person who believes them is stupid. I do think YOU, PERSONALLY are an idiot, but that has nothing to do with your religious views, but rather with the balderdash and poppycock you constantly post.

18. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 6 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]401247[/snapback]</div>
    That's a big misconception about atheism. We don't say we know there is no god definitely... but that there is absolutely no reason, evidence, etc for the existence of any kind of deity. Even still... if you do find a higher power... then what created it? What came before it? What is definite is there is absolutely no reason in the slightest to consider there is what people like to call this concept of 'god.'

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 6 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]401247[/snapback]</div>
    Spin + Pot & Kettle = Stev0 BS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Mar 6 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]401257[/snapback]</div>
    Spin + Ignorance = Mirzable BS

Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of any deities. It is contrasted with theism, the belief in a God or gods. Atheism is commonly defined as the positive belief that deities do not exist , or as the deliberate rejection of theism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 6 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]401088[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah they're called L.I.B.E.R.A.L.s it's their idea of reality!
    :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad but true MOST but not ALL LIBERALs do not believe in deities.. :mellow: