1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash 12v Accessory Receptacle Not Working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grathke, May 3, 2009.

1. grathke

grathke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having just purchased my first Prius, a used vehicle with 37000 miles I've encountered the dash 12 accessory receptacle is not supplying power. Everything else is functioning fine. I did a search for this and came up with nothing. (My search parameters could have been bad.)

I'm wondering since everything else seems to work, what or hwere should I be checking.

Thanks from a newbie
    Glenn

2. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not own a Prius . . . yet . . . but in the past, I have had the 12v power out stop working on both a Chrysler and a Honda. The problem both times was a (if everything else is working fine) blown fuse for that particular outlet. Give a look at your fuses. Both my cars had two separate fuse boxes; the main under the hood, and the utility one down by your left foot, usually on the lower part of the dash. If Prius has some other set up . . . I apologize in advance!
    Hope this helps. :)

3. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another note while I am thinking about this; in the case of the Chrysler, the fuse blew when I plugged in a 300 W inverter that had a short in the connection wires; be careful to check -- if you have plugged something in -- that that item is working OK as well (no shorts).

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at the PWR OUTLET and PWR OUTLET FR 15A fuses located in the fuse box under the instrument panel, driver's side. Note that these fuses are a special size and you may not be able to purchase the correct replacements at a discount auto parts store. If this is the case then you'll have to buy the fuses from a Toyota dealer parts dept.

Also see the following string:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/51019-fuse-replacement.html

1 person likes this.
  5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Or could it be that the ignition needs to be on?

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't run inverters through the cigarette outlets... they simply can't handle any sort of power draw.

now... shorts are bad.. period... if you short out your cigarette adaptors, you blow fuses.. but i you're connected directly to the battery and get a small short.. the car turns off (even while in motion)... plus is drops the parking gear pin, and all sorts of other goodies depending on what you're doing... (but it won't blow fuses like that.. unless you have inline fuses for the amp)