1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash board paint flaking away.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bshef, Oct 17, 2006.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just noticed this today.
    I have not found any mention of this is other post yet.
    This is an '05

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Oct 17 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]334192[/snapback]</div>
    Paint? I just assumed it's plastic all the way through. What does it look like under the paint?

3. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 17 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]334203[/snapback]</div>
    Dark shiny plastic.
    I'll take a pic and post later.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The paint on the lower glove box release button my mine chipped off after about 1 year of use. I had it replaced under warranty when I was in for service.

5. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    that's good to hear!
    I'm curious if I can upgrade my whole dash to the newer type the '06 has. I have not seen the '07 if there is any difference. My dog put some scratches in mine.

6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a pic of the glove box button.....

[​IMG]

7. tectulsa

tectulsa Junior Member

My glove box looks very similar to yours on my 2005 plus the drvier side front door has a slick spot were my arm rests. I wear look sleeve shirts the majority of the time and do use sun screen or lotion. I'm glad to learn I am not the only suffering this problem. Also my front door seal has split lengthwise. tectulsa

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do your passangers have claws? :lol:

Could it be that your fingers have chemicals on them that are weakening the paint?

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Oct 17 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]334206[/snapback]</div>
    I should have done that. When mine chipped off I found a thin rubber with a sticky back and made a cover for it.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Oct 18 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]334919[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, happened to me too except my lower glovebox button is the one peeling away. I've already replaced it once. I'm gonna ask them to replace it again. I have no idea why it peels so easily.

11. boydburkholder

boydburkholder New Member

bshef: Same thing happened to my '04. Dealer replaced offending part assembly under warranty. Try that.

12. Solar_Powered

Solar_Powered New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With my 2005 Prius out of warranty, having the dealer fix the scratched/peeling paint on the glovebox buttons was out of the question. With a bit of research, and various samples ordered, I found a 3M peel-and-stick vinyl film that matches the glovebox finish almost perfectly. Just cut a piece to the size of the button, and stick it on.

3M Scotchprint 1080, Matte Black

You can order a sample piece from Metro Restyling - Carbon Fiber Vinyl - Camo - Woodgrain Vinyl Wrap for only a few dollars (and it is sufficient to fix both glovebox buttons on more than one Prius).

13. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much, Solar_Powered! I think I'll do the same on my '05 Tideland:
    (Color is off on photo, in reality the color is identical to the photo upthread.)
    [​IMG]

14. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, applying "3M Scotchprint 1080, Matte Black" was really easy, and a perfect color match.

I do wish I'd removed all the paint first however; from some angles one can see where the paint had peeled off (it's just that the "3M Scotchprint 1080, Matte Black" is lower there).'

Seems like it would not have been difficult to remove all the paint first; it came off with my fingernail. I wonder what would do the job easiest/smoothest/cleanest. (Edit: I'll never know, since removing the film to replace it peeled off all the paint it was over very cleanly; so I guess any kind of adhesive tape would have done as well.)