1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash covers...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rick Grahn, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am interested in getting a dash cover, but am unsure which type to get. I am looking for ahigh quality cover that is custom fit for the '05 Prius.

I have a salsa red with ivory interior. I have read previous posts suggesting avoiding a light color (windshield reflection).

I prefer the type that covers only the horizontal portion of the front dash...doesn't come down the front (vertical) poriton of the dash.

Any suggestions on color, brand, style, and material?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions....

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Contact Dashdesigns.com. They are in Arizona. They do a great cover and you can see mine in the Album section: "HUMU's interior". The photo is in the recent favorites and also shows up in the general album. My cover is like what you are describing because I, too, didn' t want the cover extending down over the front of the dash.
    Cost is about 40 bucks. Colors available. And, yes, avoid white, beige or red because of glare. I have the mid range blue and it's ok for glare.
    Bob

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also didn't want anything hanging over the upper glove and opted for the dashdesigns. I didn't want 'carpet' so I chose the velour in black. Like it fine. Fits great.

4. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Godiva and Bob,
    Thank you. Which options did you choose?
    A/C
    Alarm sentry sensor
    Climate control
    Heads up display
    Light sensor
    Trip computer on dash
    Seat belt light on dash
    Clock on dash
    Altimeter or clinometer on dash

Or would it be best for me just to call dashdesigns?

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Be sure to consider the passenger airbag above the upper glovebox. You really don't want to obstruct that. If you look closely, you can see the outline of where it will pop out.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought the Tritex TM 3-layer velour in black.

I don't remember if I chose any options. I might have chosen them all. It's already designed for the Prius and has the cut outs and shapes. Look at your package and choose whatever you have. I don't think it will hurt. I didn't bother with the logo or embroidery.

I chose this design because it stops right at the upper glove box without hanging over. I think the passenger airbag will open just fine as the cover is so light. I wasn't sure about the dashmat as it hangs down and was afraid it might hinder the passenger airbag.

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn\";p=\"96321)</div>
    They have templates in stock for all cars; when you call and tell them you have a Prius, they may ask you afew questions, but they already have the patterns made up. I think the only option you might want to mention would be the deluxe speaker setup with the speaker mounted on top of the MFD (which woud be covered by the dash cover). I don't know if they have a cutout pattern for that speaker or not; you can ask them.
    They're friendly and efficient. I did have some trouble with their website, however, as I was unable to view the samples. Whether this was a fault at their end or on my computers ( I tried from two different computers, same result) I don't know, but I ended up calling them by phone. Takes about a week to get it shipped and it goes on pretty easily. You can choose between velour or carpeting; the carpeting is sturdier, I think, and has a longer warranty.
    Let me know what you end up with.

8. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all,
    Thanks to all who provided feedback.

I ordered through Dash Designs...over the phone. They now have a suede option (in addition to the velour and carpet), that is available in four colors. I ordered the charcoal color. They said it has the same 5 year warrantee as the velour, at the same price as the velour. The sales person on the phone told me that the velour had some "sparkliness" (his word) to it that caused a slight windshield reflection. The suede, according to him, does not have this. I will find out in a week or two when it arrives. Let me know if anyone wants me to post a picture of the suede in place.

9. eastercat

eastercat New Member

If you're curious about what it'll look
    like on your dash, Dash Designs will
    send you samples. I asked for the
    charcoal and gray carpet samples.
    From the samples, I was able to determine--
    quickly--that the gray color reflects
    very easily in the windshield (and
    is ugly to boot).
    I've got the charcoal carpet. It's not
    a perfect match for the dash, but
    does present a nice color contrast.

Esther

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn\";p=\"96899)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:80a0530f66]Yes! Please post a pic of your suede dash when you get it installed! Thanks![/font:80a0530f66]