1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash display showing visuals but not responding to touch - any DIY options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wowbobwow, Nov 27, 2016.

1. wowbobwow

wowbobwow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Recently my beloved 2008 Prius Touring Edition has started acting odd in a few ways - the left headlight flickers randomly, and now the in-dash computer screen suddenly doesn't recognize touch input most of the time. I've been poking around online and it seems like there are some common issues with a solder point coming loose in these units, but other than shipping it off to a service like this one and paying $300+, I'm not seeing a ton of ideas on what to do.

Has anyone run into this issue and fixed it themselves? I'm no car tech but I've been up to my neck in computer stuff since I was a kid so I feel reasonably confident that I might be able to fix this myself, if I had a good DIY guide.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Huxley

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are having that (screen) issue too for the last several months.
    The touch screen is way off, we have to hit near top of screen to do bottom screen tasks.
    The only thing I can think of is to disconnect battery and reconnect to see if that resets it.
    Can also try calibrating screen, but not sure we can navigate the screens the way it is.

We don't need the screen for too much...there are buttons in the steering wheel for some functions

#2 wjtracy, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    might find a used MFD in the junk yard or ebay from a low mileage car and swap it out. dash comes apart easy.

the headlight flickering is either time for a new bulb or the igniter is going bad.