1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash LED Light burned out - want $542 to fix!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by levertz, Jun 9, 2007.

1. levertz

levertz Junior Member

The "Headlights On" indicator on my 2004 Prius LED light on the dash burned out! After spending hours with the dealer service dept. explaining, showing and teaching them which light and that it was indeed included with that year of car, they told me it's not covered by my Platinum Extended warranty and wanted $542 to replace! :eek:
    Has anyone else had their LED dash lights go out? Any other alternatives? I would think the light is mainly to tell me when I have a burned out headlight.

2. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(levertz @ Jun 9 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]458956[/snapback]</div>
    I would live without the light, to save $542.

-wiiprii

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow I gotta believe that a good quality "backyard mechanic" or small shop could wire a little LED into a pinhole drilled where you choose that would turn on when the headlamps are on...

Heck, I have a little light wired to my line lock so that when I press the lock button I get a red glow underneath my dash. You don't have a line lock but the premise is the same... If there is current going to the headlights an indicator or some sort should show they are on. Thi should not be rocket science and it should not be five hundred bucks.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And thus is Yet Another hole in the extended warranty revealed.

6. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

LOL, so the extended warranty isn't really extended is it?

7. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(levertz @ Jun 9 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]458956[/snapback]</div>
    You can buy a LED at Radio Shack for very little $. The labor required will be many hours to get to the light. Then you have to desolder the old one and solder the new one in. Ensure it is the same color and type in case it slips into a rectangle groove but you purchased a round one. I do not know the specifics on this one.

D Rock

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jul 3 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]472325[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the panel out, if you are good it will take you a little over an hour to get to it. You have to remove the entire dash assembly and then disassemble it to get to the board. The LED itself is a square surface mount LED, not easy to replace without the right tools. Of course, it could be a loose wire or another bad component. This isn't something that should ever fail. The LEDs should last well beyond the life of the car. It really should be covered under warranty.

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you get a cost breakdown of labor and parts costs? Anyone know how long it would take to dissassemble the dash and get access to that light?

10. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just read the list of excluded items on the warranty. It excludes "lamps and lights" (not sure what the difference is between lamps and light). I'd assume the intent is to exclude normally replaceable maintenance items like turn signal bulbs. Since the LEDs aren't replaceable, I don't see why they should be included in that list, and for that matter how do they know it is the LED and not a bad trace on the board, or a bad component that drives the LED (which should be covered without question)

11. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(levertz @ Jun 9 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]458956[/snapback]</div>
    I think you should appeal to the next level of Toyota-this is not normally a replaceable, expendable item like lamps, brake lining, etc. Technically, it is not a "lamp"-it is a light emitting diode. Go to the top on this one.

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just tell them that LED's do not burn out. It must be an electrical problem. That is covered in the warranty.

13. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Jul 3 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]472348[/snapback]</div>
    Agree! What you have is a bad circuit board. The problem may be the diode or any other board component. It is a board that is not expected to be repaired in normal circumstances; it would be replaced as is true for most if not all circuit boards in the car. In fact, if a board failed in your radio, the radio would be replaced.

Relative to the comments above refering to the extended warranty (critical of coverage), lights, bulbs and other wearout items are excluded from the basic warranty also. The coverage is the same except that the extended warranty adds several features (away from home lodging while your car is being repaired is one) which are not inculded in the basic coverage.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd appeal too.

This is not a headlight. It's a part of the dash signaling system. It should be covered.

15. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 3 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]472447[/snapback]</div>
    I'd be interested in testing the dealer's ability to work with the "warranty" insurer on this, and their ability to make good on your satisfaction.

Assuming you gave the dealer $1800 for the Platinum warranty, I'm guessing their commission was about $1000. Assuming you paid list price for the '04, they made several thousand more in margin on the car. Assuming you take it to them for all your service, they are counting on at least a couple thousand more in service revenue from you... on *this* car... plus your repeat business.

The dealer has to protect its margin, so of course it's their job to start with suggestions that involve you giving them money. But they also have a $6K-plus margin to protect, and half of that is still on the line... plus your repeat business.

So it's in their best interest to duke it out with the warranty company on your behalf (you, of course, should provide them the arguments they need... preferably in writing, to improve their odds of winning the point).

If the warranty co still says no, I'd ask the dealer for a waiver on the whole charge. If they can't do that, then they can at least cancel the platinum "warranty" and refund the unused balance.