1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Lens (plastic over speedometer, etc.)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick Grahn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I picked up my new '05 Prius from having the protection package put on, I noticed what looked like a vertical crack in the clear (-I think) lens (is that the right term?) that you look through to see the numbers for the speedometer and odometer and gear indicator.

When I pointed this out to the service department, they said they must have cracked it when they were applying the internal protection stuff and would order a new lens. Well, the lens came in and I dropped off the car and to have it repaired. About two hours after dropping off the car, I got a call from the service manager who said that the lens is not cracked...that the lens is in two pieces and the split is supposed to be there. I told him I only noticed it after they worked on the car.

All that to ask a favor of one of you with an 04 or 05 prius. Could someone please check your Prius and see if there is a line separating the two pieces of the dash lens? It is hard to see, but you should be able to feel it and a flashlight may help. Facing the dash, it is within an inch or two to the right of the "auto air-conditioner" lighted symbol on the lens.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

If you don't have the split, I will know that the dealer was just, well, not honest.

2. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

It is there on mine.

3. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Bob. I feel better.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yup we went thru this back in Feb or March it's a two piece unit.

5. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

Mine is also two pieces. I didn't notice this until a little dust built up on the seam.

6. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The unit appears as two pieces to the driver. The actual gauge unit consists of, left to right, a warning light module, the display mirror for the speedo (the actual display is verticle beneath the display visible to the driver and is projected onto the display), a second warning light module, and finally a separate module for passenger air bag/seatbelt warning. The first three parts are snapped together to create a module, allowing the warning light modules to be changed to conform to other country's requirements, and the passenger warning module snaps into the back of the gauge package and is fed by a seperate wiring connector. FYI, the instrument module is supplied by Yazaki.

7. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks everyone!!