1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash lights....

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by lachrisb, May 5, 2013.

1. lachrisb

lachrisb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So I don't know if this is possible or not but, it bugs the bageezises out of me that the temp dial, mirror controls, dash dimmer, and on all the passenger doors the window switches don't have any illumination!?? I mean seriously, I know I can fumble around the car and find them but it just seems like especially the dash lights should be illuminated.

So my question is this, is there a way to illuminate the temp dial from behind the dial ie install an led into what ever mounting area is behind it thus making a ring of light around the dial. The mirror switches and dimmer also would seem like a fairly easy fix but only if they were meant to be illuminated, ie put a led in the back housing of the switch to shine through the lettering on the face of the switch. I just don't know how to go about any of it... Any ideas?

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    hmm.. i never looked.. but iirc, it's pretty much solid plastic for the ring around the temp dial.

i'll check the switches too, but they'll be difficult if there isn't anything there already.

3. Indy5QQ

Indy5QQ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I too wish the window switches were all backlit! All backlit buttons are dim (EV and Eco buttons near the center console, driver window auto switch, and worse of all the steering wheel buttons). I know Toyota uses backlighting on other vehicles as a simple search shows the Land Cruiser and Avalon have them. When looking at those switches the door unlock and window lockout buttons are vertical while the Prius C are horizontal orientated. I have found backlit replacement panels but the Prius C has a different wire harness with less pin inputs.

Today I popped out the driver master window switch panel to see if there was a way to replace the 4 switches with "backlit ready" switches. Before I removed the panel I thought each switch would be separate and plug and play. This would be great as there are many individual backlit all-in-one switches on the internet. Nope!!! They are all built right onto the board. You can remove the tactile rocker, but not the entire switch and swap it out with another.

Here's a picture from the underside of the driver AUTO switch showing how the LED shines through. Its basically a rectangular tunnel from the circuit board up into the rocker switch. The other switches have no tunnel and certainly no where for light to shine through on the switch. I suppose you could drill a hole in each of 3 unlit switches, fit a translucent piece of circular plastic, smooth out the hole with a dab of lacquer or clear filler, then feed a pre-wired LED (somehow) up through the rockers. A lot of work for a small interior detail!

Prius C driver window switch.jpg

This picture is of the LED directly soldered onto the board. Its larger than what I expected but as we all witness at night...its not bright at all!
    Prius C driver window switch2.jpg

Topside with the armrest removed.
    Prius C driver window switch3.jpg

This picture shows how the entire green circuit board is attached to the white underside. You cannot divide the pieces into two. Its all one piece due to how all the power leads going directly through both.
    Prius C driver window switch4.jpg

If I were to undertake attempting to back light each switch (includes front passenger and both rear switches), I would also wire up the interior door handle with an LED (for all 4 doors) by drilling a hold either to the very left or very top inside of the handle and adding a LED. My 2013 Malibu has the door handle lit and its pretty classy...Yes the Prius C isnt luxury (neither is the Malibu) but I think these mods would be a nice touch and add some "homieness" to the straightforward Prius C interior.