1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash mat recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I just installed my new dashboard mat which I ordered from Dash Designs in Tempe, AZ. (dashdesigns.com) . It fits nicely and looks very well made. After putting down a few velcro squares at the vent holes, and corners of the dash, and prior to laying the mat, I sprayed it with water (not soaked, just damp). This allowed it to lay nicely and when the sun dried it out, there were no wrinkles at all.
    There are several companies making these mats and photos from them appear in the album section. I particulaly did not like the mats that ran down over the rounded glove box part of the dash, looking like someone had poured pancake batter over the dash. The Dash Design mat runs right to the seam between the upper, flat part of the dash and the rounded parts, which looked more tailored to me.
    Their website caused me some problems as I could not get it centered and couldn't use it to order the mat. I had to use the phone; but they were very friendly and the mat arrived five days after the order was placed. Without optional monogramming, but including postage, it came to $37.95
    Was tempted to get a color to match the car, but realized that anything but black will cause big time reflection problems.
    Bob

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How well does it accomidate the passenger airbag?

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wondered this myself. I put the question to the chatline about how the airbag works, and Evan Fusco, among others, replied that the bag exits at the seam between the curvy part of the dash(top edge of upper glovebox) and the flat part. The mat had no cutout for the bag, and I think that's because the whole upper part of the dash flips up like a box lid, to allow the bag to exit. The slight additional weight of the carpet is no problem and it's velcroed only to the flat part, so it isn't holding the dash closed.

4. azddavero

azddavero New Member

I went by thier factory this morning and placed an order for one. They had 1 in stock, but it was too light a color (light gray) for my taste. The fit looked to be very good. They should have it ready the middle of next week. Best of all, they'll install it at no charge. As Bob reported, the flap that goes over the air bags is held in place by velcro. I can't see it becoming a hinderence for the air bag deployment. I'll add my .02 on fit when I get it installed.

Dave

5. melburstein

melburstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The dash cover that the Dealer ordered for me was a big disappointment. Fortunately, they waived their normal policy on returns of special order items and gave me my money back. I then ordered from another source after reviewing a different dash on the internet (www.dashtopper.com). I'm very impressed with the quality. It has an entirely separate cut out that covers the air bag.

Mel