1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jan 30, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I noted that many complain of a dash rattle. Well, we left the plastic on our car -- you know the stuff wedged in and around those front side windwing but not windows? I guess it just signaled new to us. Finally I removed it today, and immediately developed a dash rattle in the vicinity of where the plastic had been. We noted that if we put pressure on that area, the rattle changes or stops. Now to dig out that plastic and stick it back in there somehow!

2. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 30 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]383057[/snapback]</div>
    I don't understand what this is. Please enlighten me.

3. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Back in ancient times, cars had "wind wings." These were tiny triangular windows that one could open to direct air at one's face, when driving across the central valley to or from Yosemite. Now adays, at least in the Prius, there are wind wing vestiges. These tiny triangular windows no longer open. However, when the car is new, the plastic surrounding them comes covered in plastic strips, which, when removed, seems to free these plastic moldings just enough so that they rattle.

I wrongly thought that people might care to know the source of the infamous dash rattle. I deduced that most sane people come home with their new car, rip off this plastic, and then begin enjoying their car, and fail to relate the dash rattle to the area around the vestigial wind wing. But, being not of the sane variety, we left our plastic on until today. This is why it was easy for me to relate the onset of dash rattle with that particular area of the car and with the fact that I had just removed the plastic.

Sorry if this was a lame, irrelevant, obvious, stupid, or otherwise unwelcome comment.

4. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We call them there wingy dingy thingys "Butterfly Windows" in the parts where I come from...

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 30 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]383150[/snapback]</div>
    I think most dealers, as part of new car prep, remove the plastic that your lazy dealer left for you. Mine didn't have any extra removable plastic, nor did any of the cars of the other Prius drvers I know. I guess you got lucky.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine had the plastic on when I took delivery. I meant to have them remove it when I had the 5K service but forgot. Maybe I should leave it on there to avoid the rattle.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Mine rattle when very cold. More of a creak than a rattle, but it happens whenever the car bumps. One of these days I'll remove the little plastic part (that one with the little air vent), and line the inner edges with some thin foam rubber. Pressing on it quiets it down, so I know that's the source of at least ONE rattle/creak. I also will spray some silicon lube into the grab handles, which also make a noise when jostled.

8. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jan 31 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]383299[/snapback]</div>
    I have a handful of rattles that I used to obsess about. Sometimes I think the after-market winshield I had put in puts pressure on the dash and makes it creak. Other times I think the center dash speaker rattles.
    Then there's that faint metalic jingle that sounds like it's coming from the driver-side wheel.
    I have learned to ignore them in order to keep my sanity. :D