1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Trim Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Godiva, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was searching around for something else and stumbled across a wood trim kit for the Prius. It looked pretty in the picture but involves glueing a thin wood veneer on around the screen and radio areas and on the arms. Not so sure about that, even when done by an expert. Also not sure how good the stuff looks in real life.

Has anyone had any experience with dash trim kits in past cars? Do they look nice or cheap? Do they come loose with age? If I do this could I risk damaging the look of my Prius in a few years when the trim kit does what ever they do after a few years?

I really like the idea of a nice wood grain or burl on the gray plastic parts. A nice contrast to the black and the ivory interior (which was not my first choice.) But I don't know if I'll pay a lot of money for more trouble than it's worth.

Any thoughts?

I found one place that I think is in Canada:
    http://www.sherwooddash.com/materialtypes.htm

I have no idea where these people are:
    http://www.woodtrimwarehouse.com/

I've e-mailed both as neither site is clear if they sell to the public or just to dealers.

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I put one on my old Camry. The molded pieces looked nice, but the flat pieces (which most of them are) look cheap and cheesey. Don't think I'll try that again.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie\";p=\"80722)</div>
    Thanks. That's the answer I need. I've only seen the Prius trim kits in flat kits. No molded ones. So I guess I'll pass as well.

Not going to do furry dice either. Or dancing hula girl.

Hm....I think I have a dog with a nodding head. Might be nice on the dash.

4. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hey -- there's no reason to be so drastic. Go with the dancing hula girl! :D

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We used to do these kits for 1992 Camry's that were aftermarket. By 1994 the exact same kit was available from the Toyota Dealer as a Genuine Toyota Accessory.

There was no difference in quality. It was very thin wood (real wood) with a flexible plastic top layer and a metal flexible bottom layer that was self-stick.

The key to the whole thing was to use a heat gun to flex the pieces correctly before installation.

My mom and dad still have one on each of their Camry's. It still looks as good as the day I put them in, but they really have gone out of style. The gold emblems are a little faded, though...

My biggest reason to discourage you from buying the wood dash kits is that they aren't cool anymore. Carbon fiber would be a more in-style choice...

It's kind of like asking, "Is this a good quality set of white-wall tires for my Prius?" The answer might be yes, but I might cringe when I say the words...

Nate

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"80745)</div>
    I hear you. I love the look of natural wood. I've been replacing my "new" furniture with antiques and am loving the veneers of the '40s.

I don't much like the look of the carbon stuff and I think in a few years it will also look dated.

Glad to hear it still looks nice on your parents' cars and appreciate the hint about the heat gun. But I think I'm still going to pass.

I have three nodders....yellow lab, boxer and an Egyptian Sphinx. I'll wait until my dashmat comes to see if they will stay put. I might be able to velcro them to the dashmat velour.

In the mean time I'm hanging a crystal from the rear view mirror. I'd hang a chandelier but it would interfere with visibility.

7. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Only if you light the candles when you drive :).

BTW, I saw a wood dash kit installed on a Silver Prius and it looked nice, not my taste, but nice.

Take care,

Tisza

8. lalawhite

lalawhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We have the wood dash trim kit and leather seats, installed by the dealer. Both look GREAT and make such a big difference. I absolutely love them!

9. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lalawhite\";p=\"80956)</div>
    Can you please post photos? What brand was used?

10. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow...I just had a flashback to the Sterling automobile:)
    Anybody remember those? All that veneer and leather and they still couldn't be sold:)

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aesthetically, I've never liked fake wood trim, especially when applied in a manner that makes it look decidedly fake, i.e. applied in a location or in a manner that real wood would never be used or couldn't be applied, like the rounded corner "wood panelling" on cheap television sets and microwaves, and the panels on the sides of some newer station wagons. I even saw a homebuilt sailboat that had wood grain contact paper laid down as decking!!
    I passed a 1970's station wagon on my way to work, that had the fake wooden panelling on the sides. It was ugly when new, and, now, it is REALLY ugly.
    There is a constant undercurrent in American consumerism to make the cheap look more expensive. Cars wear badges that state: "custom", "deluxe", "special edition", "regal", etc. You get the idea. Take something cheap and tack on a few buzz word badges, some fake panels, chrome trim, etc, and add a few thousand dollars to the price.... Everyone wants to make other people think they have more money than they actually have. Most of the fake wood in cars looks tacky and pretentious.
    On the other hand, the vast plateau of black plastic on the Prius upper dash and all the plastic on the dash face, does seem to demand something to enliven it.
    I'd be interested in seeing what any of the wood trim stuff actually looks like in a Prius. Maybe bamboo flooring, reflecting Prius' Asian heritage, to replace the carpeting?
    Bob

12. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

http://www.directsalesanddesign.com/

You can order Lexus burl, any of the woods used in any premium automobile cut for the Prius pattern.

Cost is reasonable considering it is a layer of real wood.

Phone: 954.522.5477

Mauricio Rodriguez, sales

I had a real wood trim kit put into my 1997 Ford F350, it still looks quite nice.