1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard Diagnostic/visualization tools

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius42, May 24, 2010.

1. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, I've been looking around for something in between a scangauge and a laptop based system like techstream lite, AutoEnginuity, or the Auterra Dyno-Scan. Ideally a small color display with both list mode and graphs for all the Prius ECUs/PIDs. Even better if you could add your own code like with a laptop and an ELM327 serial adapter. The Can-view system for the gen II does some of this, and has additional monitors for plug-in conversions, but doesn't look like it is going to be updated for gen III (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Looking around on the PC forums I could find very little discussion of other handheld/dash mount OBDII tools. However, looking around on the 'net I found two that I thought were interesting. One is the Dash-Dyno:

Scan Tool - Performance Meter, Data Logger, Scanner | DashDyno SPD

It has nice graphing tools and it comes with the software and USB passthrough to run their much more complte dynoscan windows software as an added bonus. The dashboard unit does not read the Toyota specific ECUs but the laptop software does:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/auterra/ToyotaEnhancedUserGuide.pdf

I sent them email and they don't appear to be interested in adding XGauge type functionality or the toyota specific ECU/PIDs to their handheld tool.

The second interesting one is the DashDAQ:

DashDAQ - Features

It was discussed a bit in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/56654-dashdaq-can-we-make-new-canview.html

and generated only mild interest as it is a bit expensive ($535 on amazon) and also did not read toyota specific ECUs/PIDs. However, the device has a lot of potential, runs linux (lots of expansion possibilites), and has a very nice PC based display editor so you can make custom gauges and display pages.

One forum member (Fuel Miser) reports to have bought one of these to play with. I PM'd him/her to ask how well it works but haven't yet heard a reply.

I also emailed the company (drewtech) and asked them about toyota specific ECUs/PIDs and they very quickly emailed back that they are beta testing a toyota specific driver that can read PIDs from the following ECUs:

ABS/VSC/TRAC
    Advanced Parking Guidance System
    Air Conditioner
    Combination Meter
    Cruise Control
    D-Door Motor
    EMPS
    Engine and ECT
    HL AutoLeveling
    HV Battery
    Hybrid Control
    Lane Keeping Assist
    Main Body
    Master Switch
    Navigation System
    Occupant Detection
    P-Door Motor
    PM1 Gateway
    PM2 Gateway
    Power Source Control
    Pre-Collision
    Pre-Collision 2
    Radar Cruise
    Remote Engine Starter
    RL-Door Motor
    RR-Door Motor
    Sliding Roof
    Smart Key
    SRS Airbag
    Telematics
    Theft Deterrent
    Tire Pressure Monitor
    Transmission Control

Now, I am really a sucker for gadgets, and they offered to let me beta test the toyota driver, so I'm likely to get one of these and try it out. Does anyone have more info on this thing or any other comments (other than too expensive) before I buy this thing? Thanks!

2. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I ordered this thing and will post some info on how it works out. Hard to tell whether anyone else is interested, but we'll see. It should arrive next week.

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I followed the DashDAQ features link and it looks cool - totally customizable too. I liked that it had GPS NAV as an option (for those of us who do not have the NAV screen). So how much would the thing be with NAV bundled? I noticed it has a big ole suction cup that must stick to the windshield - not too pretty. I wonder if it could be mounted on the steering column. There's some dead space back there. I'm guessing the thing needs to be plugged into the OBD II port? Does it have "touch screen"?

4. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I thought it looked pretty cool too but I'll let you know if it turns out that way after it shows up. They also have a reasonably active bulletin board and I read through it before I jumped on board. The prices from their website are:

DashDAQ without NAV: $545
    DashDAQ with GPS but without maps: $625
    DashDAQ with full NAV: $695

That's pretty steep. However, the unit logs everything to SDCard and if you have the GPS then it logs all the vehicle parameters along with the GPS: position, time, speed, and elevation. That is what I wanted so I did get the GPS.

It is supposed to arrive next week Wednesday. I'll know more then.

5. Fuel Miser

Fuel Miser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there,

Yup I have the new DashDaq in use. I love it. It covers off all my needs for now, allowing me to monitor the basics like, Battery Voltage, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine RPM, and a few others that I like to keep an eye on. Cat Temp, Spark Advance, and the O2 sensor outputs.

I love the fact it can be customized and the display is stunning. Expensive, well sort of... but for what it can do WOW.

I too am now waiting on Drew Tech to release the code for the specifc PID's for the Prius.

Lucky you to get a beta on the PID's, I contacted them quite some time ago and heard nothing back. Maybe I'll send them another note.

UPDATE! As soon as my DD Forum account is active I'll be in the beta group for Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  6. tjs4689

tjs4689 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have any updates to your last post?

7. Larry295

Larry295 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes please send an update. Is the Prius specific program out and tested???