1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard fireworks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jgurley, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jgurley

jgurley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    After driving through a deep puddle last week, my 2005 Prius with 215K miles threw a P0138, so I replaced the O2 sensor.

I took the car for a road test today (to see if it re-appeared), and after going though the same deep puddle and then three miles, I got the red triangle, check engine, brake system, and VSC lights all on, the HV battery fan turned on high, and the car started driving odd (maybe "fail-safe mode"?).

Anyway, a new scan showed P0300, P0301, P0304 (cylinder misfires) and P3102 (battery bank 2). Could a puddle cause all these? The puddle is maybe 10 inches deep, which I crossed keeping the right wheels dry (favoring the O2 sensor).

My 12v battery is brand new.

I know it would be easier to fix the puddle, but it's a long community driveway full of cheapskates, and I'm laid up after back surgery so I can't operate a shovel or a backhoe.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would check the usual engine-misfire suspects for the engine misfire codes, and check on the battery for the battery code.

And fix the puddle some day, but not necessarily blame it for everything that happens in a 215k mile car.

-Chap

3. jgurley

jgurley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    I didn't feel any rough running until after the lights all came on. I've never had a car crap out at only 215K miles before. I had a '77 240X that went 350K, then an 86' Prelude that went 400K. Neither car quit working - I just get itchy for a new car. I sure hope my Prime goes farther.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One way that a puddle could cause the cylinder misfire DTC is if water got on the engine valve cover and leaked down into the spark plug wells. Each spark igniter is held on with one bolt and the O-ring seal is not perfect.

P3102 means that the transmission control ECU has a problem.