1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard lights: ABS, Brake, and (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusPlatypus, Dec 24, 2018.

1. PriusPlatypus

PriusPlatypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For a couple of months now the ABS, Brake, and (!) lights have been on. There are a couple of things that are affected by this. The brake pedal needs to be pushed harder for them to work, and the battery doesn't gather power when I press the brakes.

Another strange thing is that the lights go off sometimes. They are usually on, but they will turn off for 20 minutes or so every couple of days. When they turn off, the normal brakes and the battery gathering capability is restored.

I've looked at other Prius Chat threads but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive. I've heard that it might be that the brake pads or the 12V battery need to be replaced.

I don't know if it's related, but I also hear a hissing sound coming from the lower front left of the engine compartment. Could it be a broken or disconnected vacuum line?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check your battery voltage then read codes

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I vote brake pads, happy Christmas!

4. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hissing sound, mine had that too, and it ended up being the brake booster assembly, though you will need to scan it and read the codes. This is an old thread anyway, but just in case.