1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard lights won't come on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kierra, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kierra

Kierra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So my aunt just gave me her old used 06 Prius two weeks ago and a few days ago the car wouldn't start. The dashboard wouldn't come on or anything. Basically it was acting like it was dead but auto zone said the battery was at 100%. So we were thinking it could be the alternator. We took it to Toyota who had it for 2 days bc the technician wasn't available. But when he got there Monday he said the car started up and nothing seemed wrong with it. He said he checked the engine, motor, alternator, starter and everything and said they were all fine and sent me home. So it has been starting up fine and everything since, but tonight my dashboard lights won't come on. The car starts, and runs, but the dashboard just isn't working. Looked it up and it sounds like it's the combination meter?? But would that cause the car to have not started up last week?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The CM is a fairly common problem with this car. There are options for repair on eBay.

Perhaps when you first got the car, it actually did turn on and you didn't know it if the CM was dark. It typically takes 5 to 10 seconds for the combustion engine to start after the car is actually turned on. That can seem like a long time with a dark dashboard.

The Prius does not have a traditional starter motor or alternator. It uses the large hybrid battery and traction motor in the transaxle to start the engine. Be wary of service techs who tell you otherwise!

The car can be driven without the CM. The rear hatch may not work, and it takes a full three seconds to turn off with the start button. If you're not familiar with the car, you may not want to do this.

Kierra and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! And +1 to what Andrew said. There are threads here about replacing the combination meter.

Kierra likes this.