1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard vs Give Up Hybrid vs Oil Inventory

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Scanning the news and checking on hybrid sales, the dashboard report, revealed some interesting things are going on. Now I remain concerned about low hybrid sales and the announcements of new models . . . I would prefer to see more demand but summer is ending and you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

First the 'bad news:'
    Is it time to give up on hybrid cars? The Green Piece | TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk
    Ok, here is an article reflecting my concern about sales. But the Camry hybrid has effective competition with the Ford Fusion hybrid as we find in the Dashboard report.
    August 2010 Dashboard: Hybrids Down, Clean Diesels Up | Hybrid Cars
    Now the Dashboard report identifies the effect of 'Cash for Clunkers' but the ratio of sales for August 2010 for the larger sedan hybrids does not look good for the Camry . . . time for a refresh. But we've also seen unusually low fuel prices over the summer. Then I read this story about oil pipelines and $78/barrel oil:

Oil steady near 1-month highs on expected U.S. stock drop | Reuters

This evening I noticed gas prices had gone up a nickel from just last week. As we all know, higher gas prices lead to higher hybrid sales.

I would like to see strong hybrid sales in September and October but we won't see these numbers for a while. This will be an interesting month since the 'cash for clunkers' excuse will be gone (not that the early sales slump made sense.)

Bob Wilson

3 people like this.
  2. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking for here (can't speak for Australia)the hybrid market is an odd one. Just b/c you have a hybrid does not mean it will be a success.

Also the Camry hybrid is older than the Fusion with worse MPG. Lets not forget the PR hit Toyota has taken while Ford seems to be on the rise.

Finally we have stable gas prices compared to two years ago so people are back to big SUVs.

Toyota still is the vast winner when it comes to selling hybrids. Surely the next Camry hybrid will be a 40 MPG vehicle!

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm confused by the figures for the UK shown above.

You can make figures show what you want. The new model Prius came out in August 2009 in the UK and it has been a runaway success, selling more in 6 months than Toyota expected for a year. Perhaps the figures in the article could also show the % of total car sales that hybrids/EV's make up as car sales pretty much collapsed over here during the recession.

Refering to Australia, it's a shame the Camry hybrid isn't selling, but why is that? Australia have cheap petrol compared to Europe and the Camry Hybrid isn't particulary cheap either. Perhaps to help increase sales they could upgrade it to UK regulations and if priced right I bet they'd sell more here than in their home country.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I was looking over the August, Dashboard report and something caught my eye:
    It wasn't the percent gain as much as the absolute number, 328 units sold.

I was aware that GM had closed out the BAS which is what I thought the Silverado was. Small, these are interesting numbers and nearly a doubling. More importantly, the specifications and price:

Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid - Review | Hybrid Cars
    This is curious and makes me wonder what is going on?

BTW, here is my take on their numbers:
    $3,000 - estimated price increase
    $2,200 - tax credit (if you can get it)
    - - - - -
    $800 - first year addition cost (in theory)

$1,856 - annual EPA fuel cost estimate for hybrid 2WD
    $2,399 - for non-hybrid 2WD
    - - - - -
    $543 - first year fuel savings

1 1/2 year to break-even total cost
    This is the shortest 'break-even' time interval I've ever seen for a hybrid.

When I tried to find out about test driving a two-mode when they first came out, I learned you had to buy one and then you could test drive it on the way home. Perhaps they have decided the best way to sell these hybrids is to have some on the lots.

Bob Wilson

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    car buyers are fickle. like all human behavior, they are influenced by many factors. hybrids and other high mileage vehicles will increase with time and fuel cost and government regulation. just like our power supply and environmental policies, change is slow but steady.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Choice between a Prius or Rav4 base ...spend $27 ($3/gallon) to go 450 miles in Prius, or.. spend $39 to go 325 miles in Rav4.

For some people that don't drive very many miles/month, Rav4 type vehicle is a compelling choice. Greater hauling capacity.

From data I've seen on US 2009 sales, Prius and Rav4 sell in very similar numbers. Both are in top 20 and in the high teens. Camrys, Accord, Civics, Corollas, Altimas, and US pickups are in top 10.

I'm not worried about the Prius' future, it's too good and affordable to fade away.