1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashcam for 2016 Prius v Two

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by h110hawk, Nov 22, 2015.

1. h110hawk

h110hawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2016 Prius v Two in which I am doing a lot of commuting. I was thinking about adding a dashcam but really loathe the idea of having to see it, or having janky wires running everywhere. My ideal would just turn on/off with the main car power button, and just record in a loop onto a sd card. Any user interaction at all past initial setup would make it worthless to me.

I was wondering if there is any easy to access (no splicing) 5v or 12v DC in the "dome light assembly" thing (what is it called?) There is a blank where I assume higher trims have the garage door opener buttons. Is there a connector behind there? If so, I was thinking it would be easy to use that to run the cable, then mount a camera behind the rear view mirror. Out of sight, out of mind.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There is always-on 12v in the dome light. There may also be switched 12v near the rear view mirror for the Homelink mirror.

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is info. from a previous poster....

Pulling down the small black cover from the mirror exposed the connector for the mirror. Red is constant power, beige is switched power (only on when the car is on), and black/white is ground

4. h110hawk

h110hawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I will take a picture of mine as there is no "homelink". I wonder if the harness is the same?

Oh, and what is a good resource for "how to" information or teardown pictures? I've not worked on a car in over a decade.

5. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In "SEARCH"....enter -dash cam install-
    loads of posts

6. h110hawk

h110hawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, found some interesting resources but I can't post them yet because of antispam stuff in this forum software. tl;dr the wires don't exist if it didn't ship with homelink from the factory.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 v did not have homelink and as a result did not have switched 12v. You either need to take it apart and check with a meter or pay for access to the tech documents from Toyota and read the schematics. However without some experience with fairly invovled drawings and an understanding of the different options, it might be easier to disassemble and probe.