1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashmat Dash Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bobkat21, Mar 7, 2006.

1. bobkat21

bobkat21 New Member

anyone have Dashmat Dash Cover or simaler on there prius?
    do you like and do you have pic or are you happy with the looks?

2. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have one on my '05. I would give the look and fit a B-. It does protect the dash from the sun, though, so for function, I'd give it an A.

Rick

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One word of caution! Don't go for the lighter colors, I ordered a beige and the windshield glare was horrible. Keep it as dark as the current dash or darker.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you do not want to spend the money on a dash mat, do like the blue hairs do cover it with a large dark beach towel. :)

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here's a picture of the DashTopper in my Prius. I got it from a Toyota dealer, rather than buying from Dashmat directly (it was cheaper). The dealer had samples so you could see what would look best.

The DashTopper has a separate piece that covers the airbag area so it can deploy correctly.

6. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your dashtopper appears to fit much better than my dashmat.

7. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoa, that does look pretty good! Was the price reasonable? Did the dealer have black?

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you go to DashTopper's site you can see what colors are available (yes, they have black). The Toyota dealer had samples of both the carpet and velour so I could take them out to the car so see what looked good. They even have the option of adding a neon glow to the vents (for an additional $39.95)!

The cost on their site (not for the neon) is about $47, but it was cheaper at the dealer. I don't see the 2006 listed, but maybe it's the same size and shape as the 2005. They have a number to call if you want to confirm that.

9. bobkat21

bobkat21 New Member

I went to this site and was in the ordering stage when I came up to ..they wanted to know if I have 2 censors with speakers in the middle or 2 censors with no speakers now I know about the speakers, buyt the censors were are they at I ask you ?

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Thanks for the info aaf! The neon is pretty night, but I'm not sure it is worth twice as much. I am going to call the dealer and see how mch they cost. This should get rid of that pesky dust issue on our dash and keep it looking good.

UPDATE: Dealer quoted a price of $49.95 (which included S&H).

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The sensors are on the driver's side right next to the window. You can see them better if you're outside. One is the temp sensor to determine how the A/C will run and the other (I think) is where the auto-light sensor would go. This is for an option that isn't available in the US.

It's odd about the speaker question, as the implication was that if you did have the speaker there, the dash cover would protect it from UV (ie not having an opening for the speaker).

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I really am not a fan of how that looks. Why would you cover your dash with something like that? What's its function?

13. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The dash is protected from the sun (more obvious in the southern area of the US). Plus, I'd rather look at a field of dark blue than all that black plastic. And to quote Bob Allen from http://priuschat.com/dashmat-t15559.html

One advantage of a mat is that it drastically reduces the outgassing from the plastic dash that ends up leaving a film on the windshield.

A dash cover isn't for everyone, but different strokes for different folks. :) Another nice thing is that if you want to pin a badge on you can, or stick it on with velcro.

14. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a dashmat and it didn't fit too well. I have an issue with it being stretched too much right at the base of the windsheild, which causes it to bunch up. I used about 40 little pieces of velcro to hold it down, too. Overall fit is about a C. Function is an A, though, and it does have the airbag cutout on the passenger side.

Love the look of that dashtopper, though....

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. I read that (about the outgassing) on the web site for the DashMat, but I didn't really believe it. So, people have seen an actual difference in that with a dash mat? And I had always thought that, with today's UV-protecting windshields, that dash damage from the Sun wasn't a big deal anymore. And, if you like the way it looks, I guess I can accept that :p

Anyway, I don't live in SoCal/AZ/NM/TX, so it's not a big deal for me. I was just curious if this had a real function, or if it was just an appearance mod.

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    II heartily agree that you shorible from lighter colors. The mats shown in the photos flow down over the front of the dash, which I don't think looks that good and it might interfere with the deplyoment of the passenger air bag that is ejected through the seam separating the black upper section from the lower rounded one. Dashdesigns.com does great work.