1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

David Pogue's Review of Garmin's NuviFone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue.html

As always, if asked to log in, you can use "priuschat" as the user name and password.

He actually says some nice things about it but then comes this:

"Why does this phone exist? Who would buy a two-trick pony that costs $100 or $200 more than a proper smartphone like an iPhone, BlackBerry or Palm Pre? Now, I’m not going to argue that an iPhone with a downloaded GPS app is just as good as a Garmin. Integration, polish and depth make a huge difference to a feature’s usefulness.......But even if an iPhone or Pre or BlackBerry isn’t as good at GPS, it trounces the Nuvifone in virtually every other category: e-mail, Web browsing, text-message handling, games, music, video, photos, camera, typing, and on and on and on."

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Garmin Nuvi, and a phone. The Nuvi does nothing but navigate, and it does that very well. The phone does nothing but make telephone calls, and it does that very well. I don't need one gadget that combines both. So I guess I agree with Pogue. But I don't need a smartphone either. I don't need to be able to toast bread or make farting noises on my telephone.

3. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I dont need a stinking phone to make farting noise. :eek: :D

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: