1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day 3 - Turn radius - Need stealth advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by saminjax, Mar 7, 2008.

1. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The turn radius is just superb. It is great just whizzing around curves like nobody's business! I met a friend of mine out tonight and I got a little turned around trying to find the place - well, that car will turn around in the total oposite direction on a dime. U-turns -t hose are a good time!

Trying to get the hang of feathering, pulse and glide, and stealth. Sometimes it seems easy. Other times, not so much. Tricky. It seems to only want to glide and stealth around 33-34 MPH. I want to be able to hang around 40, but it resists. Seems harder when the engine is cold.

So, a couple of questions:

When I pulse, is that a fairly rapid accelleration and quick foot off the pedal or is it a more gently decelleration? It's hard to gauge how much pressure to put on the gas pedal to maintain speed or to at lease decellerate more slowly and glide where I want to glide (speedwise). I seem to decellerate fairly quickly, then I have to give it a good amount of gas to get it back up to my desired speed. I don't want to use that gas... Instead of pulse and glide, I am more pulse and DOH! :eek:at this point. I've much to learn about this car, about finding my timing, about understanding how it responds. It's sooo different.

I have a better understanding of how it takes curves tonight. Best I've ever had it in the turn department.

this makes me laugh :boink:hard to put it into anything about the Prius, though. Maybe poke me with a stick, I must be dreaming???

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't it fun playing with a new toy?

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you studied the Five Stages? And you'll get better MPG after about 6,000 and 10,000 miles. Maintaining proper tire pressure is crucial.

4. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, based on what I read here, I immediately put my tire pressure at 42F/40R and then set my tire pressure monitor device. I have read posts here by people who have their pressure set at 45/45. Is that advisable or should I leave it where I have it?

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    42/40 is good. Too much pressure and the tires get bouncy.

6. Shieldsy

Shieldsy Prius Fruitcake

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes - welcome to the best toy you will ever own (I think).

I concur with Bill. You must let the car warm up (get through the stages) and then get your SOC up to at least 6 bars before the pulse / glide will really work well.

As you said, just accelerate moderately to a few km / hr over the speed you want to hold and then back off fairly steeply (watch the screen) until the ICE stops then feather your foot back down until "NO GREEN" line displayed. This is what we used to call "Mexican overdrive" or neutral in a normal car. No push (using battery) and no retard (using kinetic energy).

You will get used to it. Bear in mind that this is inly to "play" , because it will maybe get you 1/2 litre per hundred better economy. The car does just great on its own without any extra effort, provided you don't thrash it. I decided to thrash it one day and got 5.3 L/100km which is better than the week I went away and my wife drove it all week (nothing over 10 minute runs).

Enjoy!