1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day for Peace

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alric, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its easy on a day like this to give in to anger and a desire for vengeance. That would just continue a neverending cycle of destruction adding more suffering still.

I propose we make this a Day for Peace and continue to dream of a world with no more war where we love our neighbors as we love ourselves:

There never was a good war, or a bad peace.
    Benjamin Franklin

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
    Albert Einstein

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I agree, and am willing. Try to get the same from a terrorist or hate-monger. BTW, if I am attacked today...I will fight. But if I am left alone.....I will not raise a finger. Pretty peaceful, huh!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Sep 11 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]317733[/snapback]</div>
    IIRC you've posted some very pro-Christian beliefs in other threads. How do you balance your position above with the Christian 'policy' of turning the other cheek? How does your position above promote a world that can lead toward more peace and love?

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Sep 11 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]317733[/snapback]</div>
    Good idea Schmika! Alric go post your topic on one of those Terrorist web sites.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 11 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]317739[/snapback]</div>
    That's for a slap in the face. Not after three planes are flown into buildings killing thousands of people. DOH! [attachmentid=4977]

Wildkow

p.s I'd call that "Tough Love" they'll grow up someday and appreciate it.

Attached Files:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]317750[/snapback]</div>
    It wasn't intended as a slap in the face, I think it's a legitimate question...if we don't turn the other cheek after thousands of people are killed do we do it after hundreds are killed? Ok, what about dozens? What about one? What if that one is a family member of yours? Ok, if murder is clearly OK to ignore the 'turn the cheek' rule then what about torture?

I'm getting distracted from the point. I support self-defense whole heartedly, but I think some care needs to be taken when simultaneously being religiously self-rightous in one thread then politically self-rightous in another when those two things are in apparent conflict.

My intent wasn't to attack here, but I honestly have a hard time seeing how one rationalizing these two apparent conflicting issues esp. when two simultaneously running threads seem to highlight the points well...The religious "I was saved and a veil was lifted" posts directed toward Daniel and then something more like this that seems to snub someones suggestion that working toward a more peaceful world is a good ideal to pursue.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 11 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]317673[/snapback]</div>
    One of Einstein's few mistakes; unless by understanding he meant that that understanding meant that your enemy had an understanding that if he were to provoke/attack you you would do greater to him. That understanding kept man alive last century - and now we are dealing with those who do not share that understanding - hence force will be keeping peace.