1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day Mode (No, I dont know where the dimmer switch is)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by peppergirl01, Oct 9, 2007.

1. peppergirl01

peppergirl01 New Member

first time prius owner, first time poster.
    I got a 2004 Itech model about 3 weeks ago. I love it, so does my push button fanatic of a father who is now my most loathed passenger.
    Driving home tonight he did what he does everytime he is in my car, he pushed buttons. He pushed the 'day mode' button and i cannot for the life of me get the display or the speedo to go back into the dull 'night mode' that I have come to know and love. Now the display in the car resembles studio lighting and im reaching for my sunglasses.
    Ive spent the last two hours on this site reading everything i could on 'day mode' and the overwhelming response is use the dimmer switch. I have now thoroughly felt up my car (I now owe her a drink and an akward morning after moment) and i cannot find said dimmer switch. The manual's respose to my problem is
    ''If the screen is set in the day mode with the headlight switch turned to on, this condition is memorized in the system even with the hybrid system turned off.'' as well as mentioning nothing about a dimmer switch except a reference in the index to a page telling me how to use the indicator.

So my question is this, can anyone tell me how to turn this 'day mode' thingee back on or off if it is on now or show me where the dimmer switch is?

Helpful advice most welcome (I guarantee a gushing response if you can help me), sarcasm not required.

Thank you.

Sarah

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat!

Congrats on your purchase!

Now the dimmer switch is something unique to the North American model. We use that to adjust the brightness of the instrument panel. On your model, you have a small button next to the Trip Odo/Odo button near the clock, that's why you don't have a "dimmer switch"

The DAY MODE button can be found by pressing DISP next to the screen. You'll see options for adjusting the brightness, contrast, turning the screen off and of course the day mode toggle.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add to Tideland's post: I believe that the "Day Mode" option is only visible/accessible with the headlights turned on. This is, at least, true in the US model; I'm not sure that the Australian model is the same.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Oct 9 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]523200[/snapback]</div>
    Right, I totally forgot that bit. Thanks!!

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Day mode and the dimmer switch-detent perform similar but very different functions.

First understand, with the headlight switch on, there should be an automatic dimming effect on all instrumentation and MFD.

The Dimmer detent allows all instrumentation and MFD to appear at full brightness levels, when the headlights are on. For use during daytime driving when the headlights are needed on (raining, funeral, personal preference) but ambiant day brightness levels drown out your instruments. It Negates the automatic dimming of everything when you turn on the headlights.

Day mode on the MFD allows seperate brightening of the MFD, when the headlights are on, without effecting the instrumentation dimmness. (In other word, it allows everything to dim, except the MFD, when the headlights are on. It also puts the Nav-Map background into 'white' daytime background, when the headlights are on, instead of 'black' nightime background. For use at night when the instuments need to stay dimmed, but you want daytime color appearance of of MFD Nav map. Without nav it's just a second pre-set brightness selection for the MFD, with the headlights on.

If everything is showing up bright, even when the headlights are on, move the dimmer switch out of the detent. That will return the automatic dimming feature to the headlight switch. The dimmer switch is located on the left side of the dash, behind the steering wheel.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Oct 9 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]523446[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind that only we have the dimmer switch. (the rotary one anyway). Their "dimmer switch" is actually in the same position as our "km/h MPH" button near the clock.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Australian reply

The switch you are looking for is under the multi function display on the right hand side. from memory it's right on the right end and has a picture of a gauge on it, next to ODO button in the same row as the hazard light switch. It dims only when the lights are on and it dims in 3 stages, so if it is full bright switch on the lights press it 3 times and it will be full dim, one more press and it's full bright again. Once dimmed it will remember the setting next time you turn on the lights.
    (Edit)
    [​IMG]
    By patsparks at 2007-10-10

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the photo.

Probably best if you showed the DAY MODE button as well but that's ok.