1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day Three

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 14, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm posting this in hopes of shaming myself into sticking with the diet this time.

Two decades ago I weighed 130 lbs and jogged 21 miles a week. (Three miles 5 days a week, and six miles once a week, with a day off. Some weeks I took my day off a day sooner, with a resulting slightly lower weekly average. But still a good exercise program.)

Some bad lifestyle decisions led to my gaining 45 lbs over the course of 5 years, and quitting exercise. I turned things around, and over the course of the next 5 years I lost those 45 lbs. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But I was unable to keep it off and repeated attempts at dieting failed. I have continued to exercise (though not as many miles, due to over-use injuries, and in the past year my atrial fibrillation has hit my ability to exercise pretty hard). But I've been unable to control the amount I eat.

So a few days ago I began the NutriSystem program. Basically, you pay them $300 a month to weigh your food for you. You could weigh your food yourself, but since I've been unable to stop eating when I'm doing it myself, I figured it was worth $300 if there's a chance it might work. Maybe the mere fact of having paid money will help me to stick with it.

Their diet is well balanced for protein, fat, and low-glycemic-index carbs, but is not especially healthy in other respects: it contains all the usual grocery-store additives and things like tropical oils and white flour (though they encourage you to use whole grains for the recommended additional carbs). I'm reasonably sure they buy the foods from the big industrial food conglomerates. You are allowed unlimited use of artificial sweeteners and diet soft drinks. The food tastes good, as long as you're not comparing it to home-cooked.

If all goes well I'll only be on this diet for a couple of months. They say a man can expect to lose two or 2.5 lbs a week, and since I weigh 155 now, ten weeks should just about do it. (They say women lose weight more slowly.)

I have remained on the diet for two full days, and this morning is the start of day 3. Maybe I'll be more likely to stay on the diet if the alternative is to have to admit to all and sundry that I didn't. At least the exercise is easy. I enjoy my exercise and feel deprived if for any reason I am unable to exercise. Even my compulsory days off (which experience has shown to be necessary) feel like a deprivation.

I will post on my progress from time to time.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Daniel -

I wish you the most luck with your diet. Having never been on one myself, I can't say whether or not NutriSystem is a good program or not. But I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.

I do have one question, if you don't mind my asking ...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]362178[/snapback]</div>
    How tall are you? I ask because I weigh around 155 myself and look pretty damned slim. Maybe it's because I'm 5'9". That's why I'm asking. I know if I were to lose 20 pounds, I'd look (and probably be) malnourished.

No matter what your height, though, best of luck! No shame from this corner of the world ... just a lot of positive thoughts & support.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

Daniel,

Wish you the best of luck. What is your Body Mass Index? If under 25, you are not overweight.
    I will gladly weigh your food for you for $200.00 per month (kidding) If you feel that is necessary, maybe it is, although I have had no trouble limiting my portion size and eliminating snacks. As I said, I have lost 11 pounds since mid Sept. just by walking 4 miles per day and eating carefully. I do think it is better to eat fresh food rather than packaged food from some company. Is there a good market where you live. Also, you really have to cook for yourself. The two keys to good eating are freshness and home preparation. I rarely go to restaurants or eat anything frozen or canned.

I expect to reach my target weight of 155 pounds by year's end. It has been very easy since I really enjoy walking, Now I could not sit in a chair all day (even to write Limericks)

Good luck!

4. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I once weighed almost 400 pounds. Had a waist of 52 inches. Now I am close to 160 pounds, and a waist of 34. I lost the weight during a ten year period. How did I do it?

Sonny's. A lot of Sonny's. For those who don't know, Sonny's is a BBQ joint, that smokes the food, so all the bad grease and junk drips away. Really. I stayed away from breads, fries, and increased diet drinks.

Oh, and walking around a pool.

And I never once thought I was on a diet. Never used the word. DIET is a dirty four lettered word.

Good luck, mang.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Dec 14 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]362203[/snapback]</div>

That is a real achievement - to go from 400 pounds to 160, and keep it off. Congratulations.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 14 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]362190[/snapback]</div>
    Good question. I forgot to include that. I am 5' 6.5" tall. I am also light-boned. At 130 lbs I was thin but not skinny. Plenty of marathon runners are thinner than I was, by a small amount. I have thin arms and legs, so ALL my excess weight goes into my belly, which is the most unhealthy place to have it.

When I weighed 140 I asked my doctor how much I should weigh, and he said my then-present weight was "okay," in a tone that implied it was not great, just okay. Again, bone structure makes a diference. The problem with MBI is that it does not consider bone structure.

135 lbs is sort of a "tipping point" for me: I really feel different crossing that line. Below 135 I feel great. Above it I just feel "normal." Also, below 135 I see a good figure in my reflection in storefront windows. Above 135 I just see a normal figure. At around 145 I start to see a definite pot-belly.

130 gives me a bit of room for fluctuations. If I gain 3 lbs in a year and then take it off in a January diet, I've never gone over 135. But if I set 135 as my goal, then just a couple of pounds gained and I am over my tipping point.

Jared: Yes, there's a good natural food store here, and normally I do all my own cooking. But as I said in my first post, I've been unable to control my portion sizes. The best thing would be to have a girlfriend, or even a hired dietitian to impose limits on me. But lacking that, I figured NutriSystem was worth a try. I'm not concerned about the health implications of it's industrial-style food because it's only for a couple of months, maybe 3 at most if I can stick to it. I admire what you and TJ have accomplished. But I need a gimmick and I'm hoping this one will work. Two days down, and roughly 70 or 80 to go.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

"The best thing would be to have a girlfriend"

No question about that. Living alone is not a healthy lifestyle I think the statistics would bear this out. It takes years off your life. (I did for 15 years)
    There is no subsitute for a family. I recommend it. And for the divorced - try, try, try again!

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]362212[/snapback]</div>
    Fair enough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]362212[/snapback]</div>
    Strangely enough, getting married put pounds on me. And my wife takes great pride in having "filled me out" and making sure I don't "look unhealthy" anymore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 14 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]362220[/snapback]</div>
    The few extra pounds I put on are certainly a fair trade off for the added years I gained when I got married. :)

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 14 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]362276[/snapback]</div>
    It could go either way. Being married to someone who is a good cook could make you gain weight; on the other hand, the stress of living alone (and it is very stressful) could make someone eat to compensate.

10. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Best of luck, Daniel. I'm a big believer in eating right and exercising...if you need a help or push, just holler. I still say that losing weight is one of the hardest things to do--not intellectually, but emotionally.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hey Daniel...

Good call... I know of people who have gone on Nutrisystem, stuck with it, and were very successful. I think it's one of the more reputable eating methodolgies out there...

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ive known 2 people who lost quite a bit of weight with Nutrisystems.
    But both gained their weight back soon after going off of the program.
    Its important to also change lifestyle and eating habits .
    After turning 50, Ive found that daily swimming is the best tough exercise, which is the easiest on my joints.
    BTW,there is a common problem of gallstones occurring with rapid weight loss.
    http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/mp30/nutrisystem.html
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/61/637.html

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Dec 14 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]362346[/snapback]</div>
    You interested in moving to Spokane?

14. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good luck with your dieting. I'm definitely obese, and I'm at a weight I don't like, so I'm working on it - I can sympathize completely.

Please post every day so you get some emotional support. "Dieting" is definitely stressful. There are times when I'm dieting that obsess with the thought "I can never have a hot fudge sundae again!", even though I've never particularly craved hot fudge sundaes - I can't remember the last time I had one.

So let us know when you need help, and if you know what you need, let us know that. I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

15. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]362519[/snapback]</div>
    Not today, thanks! :p

Even though, if I had to leave the East Coast, I would absolutely choose the Pacific NW. I've loved the few trips I've taken to Oregon...

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I've loved the few trips I've taken to Oregon..."

Just watch out for those logging roads.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Friday morning 153 lbs.

There's always water loss & reduced weight of stomach contents at the beginning of a diet, so weight apparently lost in the first couple of days is illusory. I am taking today as my base line.

18. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 14 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]362220[/snapback]</div>
    For some people this might be true, but not for all.

I think it would depend on how you feel about being single and living alone. If you're unhappy with that and are constantly pining away for a significant other, then there's the "unhealthy" issue right there.

But if you're happy living alone and enjoy being single, then no one can say your lifestyle is unhealthy solely because of that. To say there's "no substitute for a family" is kind of a slap in the face to all happily single people out there. There are lots of ways to have a happy life, and having a family is just one of them.

Good luck on your weight loss daniel!

19. jared2

jared2 New Member

"To say there's "no substitute for a family" is kind of a slap in the face to all happily single people out there"

You have a good point. I am speaking from (long) personal experience and from studies I have read. I lived alone for 15 years and was never especially happy about it. Some may be, but most people feel lonely living alone. Psychological studies have all concluded that most people benefit greatly from being in a stable family. There are always exceptions, but I stand by what I wrote that "there is no substitute for a family" for most people. That is my honest opinion, and certainly not intended as a "slap in the face".

By the way, there are many kinds of "families" - straight, gay, kids, no kids, grandparents, etc. What is rare in most parts of the world (though not here) is living completely alone.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I definitely want a woman with whom to share the pleasures of life. I want physical contact with another person, and intellectual stimulation, and companionship. If my travel agent can make the bookings on such short notice, I'll be spending ten days in or near Playa Del Carmen (the place from which the ferry goes to Cozumel) in January. But it would be so very much nicer to have someone to go with and with whom to share the experiences. Swimming with dolphins, snorkeling, maybe a beginner scuba dive, maybe a snuba dive, maybe (if I can get up the courage) a tandem sky dive. I can afford to have a lot of fun. But it would be more fun if I was not alone.

BTW, still on the diet. I'll post my weight at the end of the week. My weight always fluctuates from day to day, so a daily weight is pretty much meaningless.