1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daylight Running Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Capemayal, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

I am in the USA, and have a new 2007 Prius, package #4. I thought it came with DRL's, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know if there's a way to activate them?

In my 2005 Dodge Caravan, it was just a simple matter of changing the country code in the body computer to Canada.

Thanks in advance.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A few Americans who have moved to Canada have had to go through a lot more than 30 minutes with a dealer scan tool. If I recall it involved having a DRL module installed. The wiring is a bit different.

For example, my Prius has two sensors on the upper left side of the dash. One is for the climate control, the other is for the Auto headlight control.

3. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

Thanks for your response so quickly.

I forgot to say that I do not have the auto headlight system, and I have HID headlights. Silly me for believing the salesman when he said it did have DRL.

I swear by them. I know they saved me at least 1/2 dozen times here in rural Cape May County.

Thanks again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeMayAl @ Jan 11 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]374424[/snapback]</div>

4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guess you will have to just join the rest of us who put the lights on when we drive.
    Sometimes I don't, sometime I think they are critical.

5. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

Thanks.

I'm gonna try to get the dealer to get it done on their dime. After all, I did put it in the list of things I wanted, and they told me they were there.

I'll see how it goes, and let you know.

Thanks again,
    Al

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 11 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]374489[/snapback]</div>

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeMayAl @ Jan 11 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]374481[/snapback]</div>
    I thought all US Prius had Auto Off headlights. I run with my lights on all the time. When I park and open the drivers’ side door the lights turn off automatically.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, it has auto-off. Auto-off isn't foolproof though. There are situations where you can accidentally leave the lights on, such as entering from the passenger side, powering up to say get a CD out of the changer, and power off, then exit and lock from the passenger door.

HIDs are not designed to easily accomodate DRLs. An aftermarket approach would be in order, perhaps using the fog lamps.

8. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Don't run your headlights in broad daylight. It annoys the other drivers on the road.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jan 11 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]374522[/snapback]</div>
    That's different from auto headlights which include Auto-ON in addition to Auto-Off

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 12 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]374571[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, I forgot to mention that. The American Prius cars have Auto Off, so if a driver wanted to, they could leave the headlight switch to On and drive that way all the time. Once they powered down and exited, they headlights turn off, with some caveats as Dan mentioned.

With the Canadian Auto On headlights, the sensor in the dash is for ambient light. The headlight switch has an additional position - "Auto" - to allow you to defeat the sensor if you know the car will be in a dark garage.

In daytime only the DRL is on at reduced intensity. When it gets darker, or say in the underground parking at my condo, then the normal low beam headlights turn on, along with the taillights, and the dash and MFD brightness are different.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 12 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]374647[/snapback]</div>
    Another great feature of the AUTO headlights is if you're driving with the headlights on during the day and say you enter an underground car park or a heavily tree-lined road, the dash will automatically dim. When you get back outside, it'll brighten back up.

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152 @ Jan 11 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]374539[/snapback]</div>
    I do it all the time, and more than half the cars up here in the Seattle area do too. Why do you think leaving headlights on in the daytime would annoy other drivers?? I leave my headlight switch in the on position full time on my prius. I have the base model so I don't have to worry about the expensive HID bulbs burning out.

I think sometime ago, Greyhound did a study and found that leaving the headlights on during the day reduced accidents. You see a car coming quicker and easier when they have their lights on.

Dave

13. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm with you Dave. I don't have HID's either and found that the original headlight bulbs lasted from 20 to 25,000 miles before burining out. I replaced them with long lasting bulbs and will see how much longer they last.

14. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

I used to be a Volunteer EMS.

All our ambulances has white lights on the front, with the red emergency lights.

The white light was much easier to see in the daytime AND at night.

Next time you see an EMS, police or fire vehicle, look - you'll see white lights on the emergency bar, because their easy to see and stand out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jan 13 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]375141[/snapback]</div>

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 13 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]375137[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Every time I drive down the I-5, all the Priuses that I see have their lights on. I think I've only seen one Prius with its lights off in the day.

16. Houston

Houston New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 13 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]375137[/snapback]</div>
    Your right Dave. Here in
    Canada the cross-country buses have driven with their day time headlights on for years. They have apparantly proven that the practise reduces accidents.

17. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All my cars have DRL...not automatic, though. I reach down and turn them on as part of my startup routine...just like fastening my seatbelts. I've done that for many years...even before it was popular. I don't know if it works to reduce accidents, but it makes me feel better.

Cheers,

Larry

18. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my 1998 pontiac grand am had auto-lights, thats kind of sad. the 2 middle bright lights had a daytime setting, when it was light out, they were on, when it sensed dark, the main headlights turned on. not sure why this is something toyota couldn't have done for the US model. especially those of us who dont think the HIDs need to be on 24/7. Honestly they just cut so many corners, it could be such a perfect car

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Jan 14 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]375532[/snapback]</div>
    We could say the same for Canada not getting HIDs lol. They could've used the foglights or indicators as DRLs.

20. wan

wan New Member

In some countries in Europe, you must turn your headlights on during the day. its the law.