1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius 07, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Anyone bring a Prius from the US to Canada and having to install daytime running lights? Would love to hear from you on how and where you had it done. I just bought a 2007 Prius package 5 with HID and now required to install daytime running lights to use it in Canada.

Thanks!

2. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can't you just leave the headlights in the on position? They turn off when you power down even if you leave the switch "on".

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Jun 6 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]456759[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the good suggestion 'Highly ImPriused' but that is not acceptable option in Canada. It has to pass inspection and they require the daytime running lights installed.

4. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a few threads on a DRL mod:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33302 [with a link to indicator light mod]
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18440 [with descriptions of a fog light mod, but it doesn't look updated after/if the mod was done]

Also, please share your importing experiences!
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33322

(and, at some point in the future a few months from now, I may PM you to find out which US dealer you found close to Ontario who was willing to sell to a Canadian)

And if you get any word back on whether your import qualified for a Canadian tax rebate, let us know in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=32855&st=0

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do a Forum Search for Running Lights. The result with about 14 responses has some options.

6. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Jun 6 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]456759[/snapback]</div>
    This is what I do, same thing pretty much!

7. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the suggestions - after review of those it seems that everyone who had this done ended up with the 100% lights on option. Here is what I've found out by phoning around the GTA:

I found only one dealer (when challenged) that has actually installed daytime running lights on a Prius. The $60 kit they have (installation time about 2 to 2.5 hours) didn't work on my Prius. They do work on other Toyota vehicles, but one dealer after installing it in my car had to take it back out (no charge). Having the HID lamps is an added complexity (not every dealer will admit to this). Reprogramming of the computer as recommended by some dealers did not work.

So what's left:
    1. At Don Valley North Toyota a former (he's with head office now) mechanic of theirs done one installation and has all the diagrams for it and would supply it to the dealer. It requires a $90 part and ~3 hours of labour for a total ~$400 + tax. This would have the fog lamps as the DRL. Since this is not a Toyota factory solution all related factory warranties would be voided :(
    Having the little fog lamps (very low positioning) seems meaningless DRL to me and don't like my factory warranty voided.
    2. Erin Toyota in Mississauga after taking the car apart gave me the following solution:
    Parts needed: relay #90080-87026; connection box 82810-47030 plus 6 hours of labour for a total of $816. This would work through the high beam lights at ~76% and would be proper DRL (only the headlamps on at reduced intensity). Comment: price high and the connection box is not available anywhere in North America - 3 weeks from Japan :(
    3. I phoned RIV and told them about my frustration re Toyota not having a proven installation option. I asked for recommendation and they found someone at the office who knew something about the subject. He recommended Skyline Motors in my area (they are on the RIV website as an authorized inpections site). I spoke to them and they are very knowledgeable and have done a lot of installations including Prius. He knows that a different kit is required with the HID that he has in stock and with 3 hours of labour they charge ~$300.

I believe option 3 is the best with option 2 second best if one wants to deal with Toyota dealer. Hope this helps others who are currently looking into this. Once I have my installation done I'll update you with the outcome.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Jun 11 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]459715[/snapback]</div>
    Please let us know exactly what was done with what parts.

Wayne

9. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. mrnice

mrnice New Member

Prius 07: Did you consider the Web Electrics turn signal mod at all? If so why did you rule it out? I too just purchased an 07 with HID and will be importing. The turn signal mod seems straight forward. The cost is $39 plus one hour labour. (Labour estimate provided by Web Electrics). I am shipping the kit directly to the dealer so that they install before I arrive.

11. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    mrnice: Just make sure that it will pass as DRL in Canada. What is an acceptable solution in the US (voluntary DRL installation) may not be acceptable in Canada. Good luck and let us know if you pass the inspection.

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update:

I had my DRL installed this week at Skyline Motors in Woodbridge (recommended by RIV). They did the RIV and safety inspections at the same time and next day got my plates no problem. The DRL cost me $250 installed and the safety inspection was $75. Skyline was very efficient had the harness made by the time I got there for quick installation. They also knew how to deal with the HID lamps that I have (required a different kit).

Now that I have the car plated the next step is to apply for the tax rebates. Will keep you posted.
    BTW: Total savings by buying in the US = $11,579

13. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I did the fog light as DRL mod posted here. Works great!

Vince.

Attached Files:

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Jun 20 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]465354[/snapback]</div>
    Thats a pretty nice chunk of SAVINGS change to keep in your pocket!!! :)
    :)

15. tchen

tchen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CinciPrius @ Jun 11 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]459894[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks CinciPrius for the excellent document! After reviewing all the various options, I liked your tip on the turn signal option the best, so I ordered a kit from Web Electric Products.

I was doing some poking around under the hood and confirmed that the purple wire connected to the SP HTR relay appears to be switched 12V. Reading on some other boards however, I understand that this relay powers the main PTC heater in the heater core. What I'm curious about is if this is the relay by which the environmental control energizes/de-energizes the PTC heater or if there is another....ie. if the environmental control switches off the heat, is 12V lost at this wire or is it always hot as long as you have IG-ON?

I don't haven't had a chance to purchase the wiring diagram yet. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

16. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

I'm just about to pick up my White Package 6 prius from PA next week and i too need to install the DRL's i called Skyline Motors in Woodbridge and they quoted 300 dollars for the drl installation and inspection however they mentioned they haven't done xenon lights. And they also mentioned that turn signal DRL's would not qualify. Are they telling me the truth? I don't see why the turn signal drl's wouldn't work seeing as how most of the american manufacturers use this (gm, chrysler, etc). And they also mentioned some sort of clearance letter from the manufacturer regarding any outstanding recalls and said that a dealer printout would not suffice and they're saying they'll do all of that for an additional 100 dollars. I don't know what to do to get my prius up to snuff here in canada. I was set to install the web electric mod and just take it to canadian tire for the inspection. Any hints?

17. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pardon my ignorance, but for those of us without HID lights, why not simply use the $24.99 kit from Canadian Tire? They (Canadian Tire) can install it just prior to the federal inspection. Yes, it's full voltage and not reduced voltage, but otherwise it should work (IMHO). There's nothing Prius-specific about it, and it does list Toyota as a supported make.

DRL kit

I'll let you know as soon as I get my Form 2 from RIV...

Oren

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]483763[/snapback]</div>

18. tchen

tchen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]483763[/snapback]</div>

Here are the Transport Canada requirements. Turn signal DRL's are permitted, but as with any type of DRL, they must meet the specified requirements.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENER...e_Running_Lamps

The dealer we purchased the Prius from provided the recall letter. If your dealer won't provide it, you can get it directly from Toyota. Also, a heads up....I didn't realize it at first, but you must fax this to RIV before they will send you the inspection form.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orenf @ Jul 23 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]483768[/snapback]</div>
    The Canadian Tire kit should work, although theoretically, they should be at <92% of max voltage if you look at the Transport Canada requirements posted above. I don't think they inspect to that level of detail however, as I know others who have gone that way. Personally, I would prefer not to have all my headlights, parking and tail lights at 100% intensity during the day which is why I'm exploring the Web Electrics option.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusott @ Jul 23 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]483803[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, now that I read it more carefully the requirements kind of contradict themselves. Regardless.....I doubt they actually measure it

48) A daytime running lamp that is optically combined with a headlamp shall

(a) where combined with the lower beam of a headlamp that is designed to conform to the photometric requirements of this section, operate at normal operating voltage or

(i) in the case of a DC system, not less than 75 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage, and

(ii) in the case of an AC system or a modulated voltage system, the equivalent root mean square of not less than 75 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage;

19. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

I think the web electric kit will be fine then. I'm getting a super white prius and want the car visible in wintertime so i'm going with the turn signal based lights since the HID are really close to daylight in colour. I guess i'll attempt to do the install myself and just take it to canadian tire to do the inspection. Anyone know how much it costs for the inspection and if there is anything else that is needed other than the DRL mod?

Is the web electric kit the only one for turn signals or not?

20. tchen

tchen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]483829[/snapback]</div>

The Canadian Tires in Ottawa do the inspection for free. It only takes around 5 minutes. My understanding is DRLs are all that are required. Some labels are required, but I think RIV sends them. I'll find out within the next week or so and let you know how it goes.